Dry cough when you have the flu

Posted , 2 users are following.

Since the flu makes you very very tired, getting useful sleep is essential for feeling as good as possible during recovery.

We had some 'chesty cough' medicine from the last time we had colds, so tried that - IT MAKES IT WORSE :evil:

So today - after five days just well enough to go out - I went to the local Boots to get something else, and the assistant tried to sell me MORE 'chesty cough' medicine even after I tried to explain the problem :?

The pharmacist, though, was fortunately within ear shot and right on the case - he prescribed Pholcodine BP, a cough suppressant - and it makes you drowsy - just what I need to get to sleep. :P

I think the assistant thought I just had a bad cold, whereas a quick question from the pharmacist confirmed for him that I did know what I was talking about.

By the way - I never buy patent medicines - cheap and cheerful BP preparations have exactly the same active ingredients.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My opinion .. is that, if you have a cough then thats the bodys response to getting rid of whats not wanted in the lungs, so a cough suppressant should not be used
  • Posted

[quote:ed71897235=\"Blue K\"]My opinion .. is that, if you have a cough then thats the bodys response to getting rid of whats not wanted in the lungs, so a cough suppressant should not be used[/quote:ed71897235]

I agree, to a point, but when you lay down and that irritating tickle and cough starts, the whole nights sleep is a waste of time, so anything that helps you get some rest is a benefit, especially at night, when everything seems umpteen times worse anyway.

• Posted

i been suffering flu like symptons for last 3 days but ived noticed a lot of numbness in hands an feet an allso pins an needles in feet an lower half of leg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.