Dry ejaculation

Posted , 30 users are following.

My husband is Type 1 diabetic and was also recently diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. Diabetes affects blood pressure - raising it, and it may in some men cause erectile dysfunction. Tamsulosin Hydrochloride was prescribed and my husband has taken it for approximately 2 - 3 months. I can report that his urine flow has increased significantly but he does not produce semen when ejaculating, something he has been oblivious to and it is only me who has noticed it. Failure to produce semen is not listed as a side affect to the drug and I feel it is of low incidence and has therefore gone unreported. This failure presents no problem to my husband or me presently and only if it does will he report it to his GP. May I respectfully suggest to those men who find it problematical that they tell their doctors who will a) explain the possible cause of the side effect; b) change the medication or c) give reassurance that this will not affect their sexual performance.

4 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have not taken Tamsulosin Hydrochloride for over a year but instead was prescribed Permixon following a heart attack in January 2015. All the side effects of Tamsulosin disappeared and I have benefited from a lessening of the requirement to visit the loo several times each night. The sexual problems have also disappeared. 
    • Posted

Thank you for writing this. it gives me hope that the dry ejaculation is really caused from Tamsulosin. Tomorrow's the last day I'll take that medicine, so I hope I'll go back to normal ejaculation soon.
    • Posted

Can you get permixon from GPS in the uk. I'm taking tamsolosin at the moment and am fed up with the side effects. I wanted to see if I could find out as sometimes GPS need persuading to let you try something else.

• Posted

Hi Steve, re your comments on Tamulosin. I have been on this together with Finisteride for last two years. The two drugs are prescribed for prostrate enlargement and work together to reduce the prostate. As a result after a while there is less fluid ejeculated, and what does goes int the bladder, which I feel does cause an irritation. Have you experienced that?

Have no knowledge of Permixon, but will check it. I have an appointment with my doctor next week, and have recently had a blood test so will find out latest psa reading. My age (78) so that doesnt help!

• Posted

Steve. Apologies for being slow but have been abroad for a week without proper computer access. The short answer is I don't know,  My urologist suggested either Finasteride or Dutasteride to help shrink my prostate.  But I demurred as he said this could affect sexual performance.  For the time being (I am 74) I will live with the longer wait sometimes to pee.

• Posted

Tamsulosin is one horrible drug. Taking this drug is the end of a persons sex life as he once knew it. Had my doctor told me of this side effect, I would not have taken the drug.

I had a P.A.E. in June and much of my BPH urinary problems have subsided. However, my sex life it still totally *&ucked up. I stopped taking Tamsulosin 6 weeks ago and there has been no improvement. I still have no siemen as well as retrograde ejaculation.

Accordingly, My urologists says I should return to normal in 2 to 3 months. I'm waiting.

• Posted

I was told it can take up to 4 to 6 months to get it out of your system.
    • Posted

Rick. I find that stopping it the day before I meet my GF deals with it. Then I resume the day after.
    • Posted

I would try that i take the flomax at night befor bed and i also take procar in the morning after i eat so until  i find a better solution.

thanks for your commemt.....

• Posted

i guess i will just live with it the way it is

• Posted

Why have we had so few posts from healthcare professionals on this subject? My GP simply shrugged her shoulders and told me to stop using the medication. 
  • Posted

Thank you for talking abt this..I hv been taking tamsulosin hydrochloride 400mg daily for abt three years now, due to problems of urine retention due to BPH, on suggestion of my GP.

Of last since abt one month i have noticed the problem of dry ejaculate. am wondering whether there is any other medication which would help me get around this problem and whether the problem would autocorrect once I stop taking the medication.

• Posted

Re dry ejaculation, I have found omitting the Tamsulosin the day before sex goes some way to improving matters, without noticeably affecting urine stream ( I take the tab immediately after sex, just to be safe)
  • Posted

Yes this is very true.I am experiencing the same thing. My seamen dose not come out and more over my penis dosent get a hard on. I was having a little hard time passing urin so my uncle advised me to take urinal 0.4 mg I took just one strip of 10 tablets.and my sex life was gone. I am struggling with erection.and dryness of semen.ans pain and blister at the top of my penis. I have stopped taking tablets. Will it come bace to normal please advice.
    • Posted

Yes in my case it did. I stopped taking Tamulosin and after around six weeks I started to have wet ejaculations again. 
    • Posted

No doubt you used Tamsulosin in the first place because you needed. Yes, wet ejacs would be great, but how did you cope urine wise, without Tamsulosin ?  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Clive, 

Thanks for your reply. I had a raised psa, of 6.5 and was refered to a urologist who monitored and checked prostate. After six months he signed me off. I requested something to stop being disturbed in the night to pass urine. The Doctor put me on Tamulosin and also Finisteride which he said would take three months to be fully effective. However I have been on these drugs for a year, and still need to get up in the night usually 3am. So the drugs have not stopped that. A recent psa test gave a result of 3.5 so I wonder if I need these drugs or not. The Doctor says I won't know how much unless I stop taking. I think there is no harm in leaving off occasionally.

• Posted

Hello again,

So message to all out those like me on Tamulosin. The Practice I am registered with have just switched me to Pamsvax XL 400mcg capsules which I understand from them is the same as Tamulosin MR 400mcg capsules. This is more cost effective and will save the NHS which will result in more funds availble to improve care in other areas.  Has anyone else used this variation, and does it have any noticable effect?

• Posted

Google search says " The active ingredient in Pamsvax XL is tamsulosin hydrochloride. facilitating urination. In addition, it diminishes sensations of urge."  It will be interesting to learn if it makes any difference for you,  My urologist is trying me on alfuosine.  This is relaxing the prostate, but in sudden bursts - a bit like a dam about to break. I doubt I will continue with it when the course ends

• Posted

Hello David. I read your concern and wish to advise that while Tamusolin is trying to keep the prostate in check by limiting the flow of blood and therefore the rediction of ejaculation, I don't think it is able to control the amount of urine it passes in the middle of the night. I used to get up at least 5 times at night but it wasn't because I could have a problem with my kidneys, hell not. By carefully monitoring myself on what I eat and what I don't I discovered that the vegetables eaten at dinner are the reason why there is a lot of urine in the bladder. and a full bladder will immediately tell the brains it's time to wake up to drain it or suffer the pain. If you hold on, then it starts to cause a LOCK effect, you go to the toilet and sit there for quite some time and the urine won't pass until you wake up completely to relax the uretha sphincter muscles near the prostate. After the urine flows, there is this feeling that the bladder hasn't drained well, so you return to bed and have that unusual feeling that the bladder is still half filled. So, either you remain on the toilet bowl and wait till the muscles relax and pass the second and final urine, or go back to bed. And because the bladder was half full, in one hour you have to get up again half asleep to repeat the same sleepless cycle. This is the result of either eating water rich vegetable late in the evening or you have cups of tea and other drinks after 9pm. It's a bad habit that makes you sleepless and tired during the day. For this reason, vegetables and other meals that have a high water contents need to be eaten earlier in the evening, usually 6pm. Try it and see. If you eat broccoli, gabbage, spinach, silverbeets, carots and other water retaining vegetable, you're likely to end up going 3 or 4 times to the toilet during the night. But if you have the same veggie meals earlier in the evening, the body digests and processes it and while you do a small workout, you are fully awake to feel the bladder getting full and go to the toilet. So, by the time you go to bed, the kidneys have already done their job and will be rested when you go to bed. I eat Veggie dinners around 6pm and 7pm, no later and then do some non strenious exercises on my garage gym and a brisk one hour walk. I don't watch TV muck because there is nothing to watch these days, only ads.So, if I must eat later than 7pm, I will have something less watery. Better to have something very light so that the energy that the body has stored doesn't end up as fat. Normally people who are active have dinners after 6pm, but then they either do home exercises one way or another so that the energy is transferred to the exercised muscles, or go for a walk/jog to keep the legs from muscle shrinkage if you're in the 60's. Tamusolin has no effect on the flow of urine at night. If it did, then I am also in trouble. I've used it since December 2016 and it took 2 months to take effect, and on the third month I noticed the lack of ejaculation. My GP assured that it is not only Tamusolin that is causing no ejaculation but type 2 diabetes too, and urged to fight to keep diabetes in check then he will stop the prescriptions on condition that I continue to stay active. Cheers.

• Posted

Hello Valiantman,

Thank you for your correspondence on this matter. You clearly understand the problem and I can relate to many of the effects you have explained. I think your way of exercising control on production of urine is particularly interesting. Being diabetic you are probably more aware than others how important diet is in controlling your health.  Thank you for the advice I think that you have made some excellent suggestions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.