Dry eye has left me unable to read for long

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with very dry eyes and am trying new drops and eye gel.

I find I can only read for a few minutes without getting discomfort from my left eye. Does anyone have a similar problem and how did they deal with it?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Gillian

How long have you had dry eyes & what drops etc are you using?

I have had dry eyes for a lot of years & have tried all sorts. My eyes are much better since I was referred to a new Consultant in about 2016.

But, we're all different

• Posted

I have only just been diagnosed after seeing an optometrist and have been advised to try Thealose Duo drops and gel. Also hayfever eye drops although I don't have it maybe it's for inflammation? Also I'm going to try fish oil tablets.

• Posted

Have you been told to put a warm flannel or warm eye mask over your eyes for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 mins in the evening?

Do you wear contacts?

• Posted

No I haven't been told that at least now I know more about what was causing my eye problem I can try different things.

No I don't wear contacts.

• Posted

warming your eye up helps unclog the tear ducts. Then you can get some preservative free eyelid wipes that help cleanse your eyes of all the gunk and bacteria that comes out after. Then 20 minutes after you do that, put your eye drops or eye gel in. Our eyelids and eyelashes have a lot of bugs in them so regular cleansing can help prevent styes and eye infections, as well as help keep them lubricated.

• Posted

Thanks Moon I'll try that.

Sorry Debs to hear about your problems. I know from my own experience I had to go to docs and opticians several times before mine got diagonosed. Sometimes we have to keep speaking up or we can just be ignored. Have you seen an ophthalmologist yet?

How do people with dry eyes get on with reading can you read in comfort for more than 15 minutes?

• Posted

I look at a screen a lot and when you do that you don't blink as much as normal. When you talk about reading, do you mean from a screen or a book? Old fashioned reading from paper and print is more comfortable to read than from a screen. Dry eyes is much more common now because everyone has computers,tablets and phones that they are in front of a lot.

When you are in front of a screen, make sure you remember to blink and if you can, try and give yourself little breaks here and there. I know that isn't always possible if you are working though.

• Posted

Often I read from my phone also from a book or newspaper. Either seems to irritate I'll try to have breaks and also use drops before I read.

Thanks for all the info I'm off to shops later to try & get the preservative free wipes.

• Posted

i was told i had dry eye two months ago, it has left me with blurred vision in my left eye, i am worse after being on the ipad, also very difficult to see in bright,y lit places etc.......i really worry that i have a more serious problem but they have done all the tests in hospital and at the Drs andSpecsavers.....

• Posted

i have tried all sorts of drops, eye mists etc and cleaning the eye with a solution but nothing helps.......somedays worse than others......getting fed up now

• Posted

Debs24

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time I know myself how eye problems can affect your life.

You might have seen my earlier post I mentioned Thealose Duo eye drops and gel. They have really helped me with my dry eye problem where other over the counter eye drops haven't been nearly so effective.

My Optometrist also mentioned diet affecting dry eyes and fish oil tablets I am trying Cytoplan.

• Posted

https://patient.info/eye-care/eye-problems/dry-eyes

Good morning Gillian, have a look at the link, it covers a lot of information about dry eyes & also MGD - Meibomian Gland Dysfunction which has also been mentioned

Your enemy is a screen - computers, televisions, cinema & driving. Anything you stare at for long periods. Air conditioning also dehydrates you & your eyes.

Always use preservative free products, the preservatives cause all sorts of problems themselves.

Good luck Gillian

• Posted

thanks for your replies really appreciate it, im so worried it could be a brain tumour etc as it isnt getting any better, my vision is really blurry in that eye.....had loads of tests so im sure it would have been looked for, but its worrying

• Posted

Have you seen a neurologist? There are some neurological disorders that can affect your vision

• Posted

hi no in the Uk you have to be sent via your Dr if they think its a neurological problem.....they always try loads of other things first, like drops, lotions, washes, no make up, holding a hot compress on the eye etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.