Dry eye problems following lens replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

i chose to have lense replacement in January as my contact lenses were becoming increasingly uncomfortable and I also needed glasses for reading, cooking, cleaning etc.  Multi focals were recommended to allow me to be glasses free. Procedure for both eyes was very straightforward. My left eye is for distance and right eye for reading etc.  After 9 weeks my vision is superb although I still have the feeling my eyes are working separately. I have been assured my brain just needs time to come to terms with the change! The major problem I am having is with dryness in my right eye. I use lubrication drops all day long but have a constant feeling of grit in my eye.  I also take omega 3 oil every day as recommended. Again I have been reassured with time this will pass!  Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience? Are there any brand of drops better than others? This is probably a minor problem compared to what some other people have to put up with but som days it drives me to distraction 😳

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have multi focals, just plain old mono.  My vision was great immediately, but in the months that followed, my vision decllined a bit, which I understand is not unusual.  I still don't need glasses, but teeny tiny print is difficult to read (during the first few months, it wasn't).  I too developed dry eye, which I never had before.  I used drops for several months, fairly often.  But the need for drops eventually decreased sustantially.  I still use them from time to time.

• Posted

Oops, I forgot to mention that after trying several different brands and kinds, I like Systane Lubricating Eye Drops Soothing Comfort Eye Therapy.  They have different kinds, including preservative free.  But I fiind the regualr to work the best for me.  The viscous kinds don't work as well for me either.

• Posted

I do have couple of questions, which may help me offer you some better suggestions:

1. Which multifocal lenses do you have? Usually, when one gets multifocal lenses, each lens is used for distance as well as reading.

2. What is your current prescription for each eye? This will include spherical as well as cylinderical correction. Even if you don't actually get prescription glasses, you should have been tested for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.