dry eyes and pseudoexfoliation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would love to hear from anyone with this condition. I have just had punctum plugs inserted in my tear ducts and two days later my eyes are just as sore as before.Apparently the condition was caused/made worse by diuretics prescribed for high BP. No one seems to be able to tell me if stopping the diuretic will reverse the dryness. I have been off it for eight weeks now and have noticed no difference. The consultant says that my loss of vision is down to the lack of a tear layer and apparently it makes cataract operations difficult too.i am using eye drops almost continuously and am so frustrated not being able to seedetails like knitting patterns, reading small print etc. Any help out there?

Jenny

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, jenny -

please see my new posting from today. i too have gotten absolutely no relief from anything i've tried. . .am hoping someone out there can help us!

• Posted

Diuretics do not cause dry eye. If your dry eye is severe, you need to have a medical workup to rule out underlying medical conditions that cause dry eye. For example, connnective tissue diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Sjogren's syndrome may cause dry eye. Your primary doctor can do tests to diagnose these conditions, and treat them if needed, and if you have them. Another excellent medication for treating dry eye is Restasis or cyclosporin eye drops. Ask your ophthalmologist about that. I have several patients who have both pseudoexfoliation and dry eye. I'm not certain there is a direct connection, but I've often wondered. For more information on pseudoexfoliation, I've created a web site since I have many patients with this condition: pseudoexfoliation.com

Robert Cykiert, M.D

Ophthalmologist

• Posted

Thank you, Robert. At last someone is listening
  • Posted

Robert, I read your article with interest.

I had cataracts removed from both eyes three years ago despite being told no one would operate as I have only one eye which works properly as a result of a very severe head injury and the result has been great.

My eyes are very dry still and get irritated so I use drops to lubricate them and am told my punctum plugs are still in place.

The last time I visited for my half yearly check I had a scan which showed some sort of abnormality. To me it looked like a small dip, can't explain it otherwise. I have to return in two months for a repeat so am well monitored. Could this be a consequence of pseudoexfoliation as I also suffer from Raynaud's syndrome?

Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.