Dry Fingernails look horrible

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all

Prior to Methimazole my fingernails grew fast and nice. Good texture and strong. Since Methimazole they are getting so dry. They look awful. They're not growing as fast which doesn't bother me but they are so dry they're white and rough and scaly looking and lined. I use conditioning oil and it's like it's not even penetrating. 

Is this normal? Anyone have this problem? It's even affecting my toenails. My hair texture has changed too. Where is felt full with body, now it's limp and just hangs. I'm feeling okay, just curious is this is a side effect.

Jaye

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to tell you Jay .. that in my experience all of those symptoms ....and many many more too...

Were certainly the symptoms I had also .. but whilst I was suffering from Graves and before taking Carbimazole ...

once I took Carbimazole of course , those symptoms continued for a while as I believe the thyroid hormones are still well and truly within your body and still very active !!

So after a while .. maybe up to around 3 months these and other symptoms lessened , dramatically

Improving .. and they will diminish with you too, im sure .. you must be patient and whilst being so ...

Google read and ingest all knowledge on the subject .. so that there are no surprises

Keep asking questions .. you'll get loads of advice

Best of luck Luvvie

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Oh ....my toenails fell out too ...

But since Carbimazole ... no problems

Nails and hair fine again

You'll be back to normal with a little help from your supplements ...

Mx🌹

• Posted

Oh no, Madge. I'm sorry you had those problems and happy you're better!  My problem seems to be, I didn't have these issues until taking Methimazole. I'm suffering from one hot nodule which is suppressing my TSH. My iodine uptake test showed a normal thyroid measurement with the exception of this one nodule uptaking most of the iodine. The DX was hot nodule.

I'm wondering if I need to cut the med as maybe it's making me hypo? My hair and nails were fine until after starting the med. I'm also freezing cold and tired, ugh, signs like I had when I was hypothyroid in 2008. 

I have multiple nodules but only one is active. I can't have another blood test until next week. Last test my TSH was still suppressed but my free T3 was normal (mid range) and T4 was just at the top range. So I'm thinking the T's are normalizing and maybe diving? I just feel awful today. Foggy, cold, lethargic. 

• Posted

I should have said: one nodule is "Over-active" causing me to be hyperthyroid. It's spewing hormone on its own and suppressing my TSH. I've read hypo can turn hyper and also, with aging, nodules can turn hot or overactive and cause problems. So complicated, huh? xo

• Posted

I don't have a problem with fingernail growth. God mine grow so fast.  Too fast!  But the dryness and lines in the nails I would say yes.  I usually keep polish on them though and it makes them look a lot better.  As far as the hair goes, I was losing a lot of hair, particularly at the front hairline.  I thought it might be due to the rigid hairspray I was using so I stopped using that. I condition it well.  I also have had a couple of bad haircuts lately so I can't blame it entirely all on thyroid issues.  I use coconut oil for the skin around the nails and the nails too.  It helps but then you have to wash your hands so much during the day that unless you are using this all the time afterwards, they will still dry out.

• Posted

Coconut oil. Yes! Great idea. Thank you Linda. It's more pleasant than tea tree oil with that strong odor. 

I don't feel stable anymore, Linda. I'm so cold and feeling odd. Can't wait for my next blood work. 

Funny story though. We used to use coconut oil on our Mastiff's coat. I forget why the vet said to do that. It was years ago. But when we did he kept licking it off lol. I know it's also good for cholesterol. 

• Posted

I believe it is the thyroid rather than the medication that causes this, although as the medication lowers your thyroxine levels it is indirectly responsible. Supplimenting your diet might help (not sure) and continue to rub in cuticle oil. If it is just the look you don't like you could try a professional nail technician for regular treatments. I believe if you get your thyroid in balance it helps. I am new to being on carbimazole (aussie thyroid med converted to methiazole in the body I think) so I am still learning. Good luck and take care

Jeni

• Posted

Thank you, Jenifer. It's a long road, right? I wish you well also. :-) Thank you for the info. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.