Dry January Challenge

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

As some of you will know from my posts on other threads I'm doing the Dry January Challenge organised by Alchohol Concern.  I actaully started on Monday so this is day 3 dry for me.  Anyone fancy joining me?  Their web site is easy to find on Google and you can sign up to receive frequent newsletters and emails of support.  They also have a face book page which is worth a look.

Wishing all a dry 2016

Lizzie xxx

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Lizze!!

Oh bless you hun, please stop saying sorry and do not think you have let us down/ failed or whatever your anxiety ridden mind is telling you. I am so pleased you came back to us to tell us all what has been going on and not hiding and suffering in silence!

Your day sounds tough and on top of the worry of your bioppsy results this week i am impressed you have got this far with 2 G&T's and not more quite honestly, your will power has been inspirational at some points.

Pain is exhuasting and anxiety is a bloody devil....eats away, gnawing at you until it finally p*sses off or you cave in so do not feel low about it getting to you in the end, you are only human.

Most importantly from this is ok, you had 2 G&T's but actually that is all you had and today is a new day and you won't touch a drop today. So please let it go...we are all likely to have set backs, i remember quitting smoking and that took me about 8 attempts with many "off the wagon" moments but i am smoke free now for 6 years so it cane be done even when we slip a little....just wave goodbye to yesterday and on with the future.

Have you got anything for the pain at all now except valium? Is it any better today?

Do you have anything planned for tonight to take your mind of things? 

Keep in touch with us on here. I am off on the school run and t my parents shortly but i will check in on you about tea time so stay strong :-)

Love & hugs xxxx

• Posted

Dear Paper Fairy and JJ

Thank you both for your lovely replies, you both really boosted me.  You are right, it could have been worse, and I'm so glad you are all still here for me.  Physical pain aside I've had a good afternoon with my mum, took my repeat prescription in to the dr.s with a number of things on it including both diazepam and codeine, which I hope to get on Friday.  Rather than just post it in the box I actaully spoke to one of the pharmacists and explained why I was putting things in early, I got the standard warning about the codeine, but they have to say that, so I don't hold it against them. I'm drinking sparkling mineral water with elderflower cordial right now, I've got a pizza for tea which is my default setting comfort food and there is lots on TV tonight that mum and I can watch including 24 hours in a&e which I like, having been in there a few times, once with an overdose, which was a surreal experience and they treated me with such respect despite it being self inflicted.

LOts of LOve from LIzzie xxx

• Posted

Forgot to say, I'm listening to Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell album which to me is really up beat and optimistic, what do you guys listen to when you need a lift?

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie sorry to hear this. I feel bad as I have failed tonight with one glass of wine   I can't turn the clock back and we can all blip due to our circumstances.    Hope you are ok JJ and paper fairy.  Take care Lizzie xx
    • Posted

Hi Radley.....

As we said, we are all going to have our moments & you have a really positive attitude there. Well done on stopping at one!

I'm dreading tomorrow night as we ALWAYS have a takeaway and a bottle of wine each - even my husband drinks on a weekend. Think it's going to be tough but am going shopping later to get some sweet treats as a rewad instead of drinking so hopefully i will make day 9!

Paper Fairy how are you doing? xxx

• Posted

Hi lizzie

You sound much better this evening :-) That's great news, onwards and upwards now! Pleased to hear you so have some pain relief - that has to help things, nothing worse than ongoing pain to make you feel miserable.

I don't listen to music in the house - not sure why really? However, am watching the Horse & Country tv channel which i like and drinking my treat of a glass of alchol free white wine after dinner.

I'm tired today for some reason so looking forward to gong up to bed with my book and chilling out. 

So glad you are on the mend and back on track. Keep up the good work peeps :-) xxx

• Posted

Hello everyone

I can certainly tell I fell off the wagon as I seem to have had a really bad reaction to the alchohol having been off it for a while, that will teach me as last two days have been horrid as apart from my painful arm and anxiety my tummy and bowels have been upset again.  Trying really hard now, guess we all have our weaker moments.  I have also been in touch with The Samaritans who are being brilliant with me, which makes me doubly glad I donated to their Christmas appeal.  I have contacted them a few times in my life and with one exception, they have always been great with me.  I also know two people who used to be Samaritan volunteers and you could just tell by their listening skills.

Got a nice booze free day planned for today with mum plus soem time to start my latest book on English Church Music, a Christmas gift from my cousin.

Lots of Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Mum and I went to Prayer Book Communion this morning at church, it was teeming down with rain, but still we hardy few attended as always.  I don't expect you are all Christian like me but I hope you'll forgive me if necessary, but as the minister read the words below I thought of everyone on this group struggling with alchohol and prayed it for us.

"And we most humbly beseech thee of thy goodness, O Lord, to comfort and succour all them, who in this transitory life are in trouble, sorrow, need, sickness, or any other adversity."

With my love and blessings to you all

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

That was nice .  It is very peaceful and fulfilling going to communion.  I am a Christian Lizzie and thank you for your prayers.  I pray each and every evening.  Godbless you and your mum xx
  • Posted

Hello guys 

How are we all doing? It has gone very quiet on here which is either a great thing or a not so great thing :-)

I had a wobble on Thursday after being assaulted on the school run. Nothing serious but i have had to involve the police.

Anyway...i was so stressed i got my hubby to buy me a lovely bottle of sauvingon blanc on his way home and dank the bottle during the evening....didn't leave a drop.

Anyway, i can't say i felt awful the next day, no hangover etc - wish i had as would have taught me a lesson!

I'm back on the wagon now though. i have been worried all week about Friday night as we always have a takeaway and wine (hubby too). 

So instead of a chinese or Indian. we had fish & chips as wine has never gone well with that! Instead we had a nice pot of tea,

So all in all, I'm feeling ok about it all and for the first time in years have a clear head on a Saturday morning!! 

Love to you all xxxx

• Posted

Hi JJO and friends

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been assaulted, that is terrible, were you hurt?  It must haved really shook you up and I can so relate to the bottle of  sauvignon blanc afterwards.  I hope there are no lasting injuries, eiother physiocal or mental

I wish I could say that I've been good, but I can't.  I got very anxious the other day as I may have said in a post above.  The Samaritans and my  mum were both wonderful to me.  I have concluded that sadly, as regards the rest of you as I feel as if I've so let you all down, its moderation in all things for me.  I really can't forgo alchohol completely and am working on devising a sensible drinking regime. I won't bore you with the details but basically I've failed, however, both The Samaritans and my mum talked into not seeing it as a failure but rather as another way of looking at things, moderation being the watch word.

I'm sorry to have let you all down but do feel better for having a little wine from time to time.

Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

Hi Guys sorry to hear about that JJ (the assault).  Not good.  Nothing to report on I did 7 days stress and upset got the better of me.  I have had some wine to be fair but in a surprisingly controlled manner I feel less stressed now and have been quite content to have a glass with dinner instead of a bottle.  This is the way forward for me with 2 days a week with none and feeling comfortable with ones self and not feeling which I have felt deprivation.   Hope everybody is well and enjoying a cut back or abstinence xx
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie I am the same moderation is the key word.  I am pleased with the days that i did and is so good to have you guys on here to talk to.  Bless xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.