Dry mouth.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I have not been diagnosed with GERD. I am wondering if any of you that have GERD have a constant dry mouth and a feeling of a tight throat? I have these symptoms along with lots of belching and burning in my upper stomach. I have woken to heart burn that has taken

my breath away but only a few times. I do feel like when I eat or drink my food or drink wants to come back up but it doesn't always burn. Please help! I'm trying to find a reason for my very annoying dry mouth and the feeling my throat is closing. Thanks in advance. Susan 😊

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking medication for heatburn?  if so that is probably the cause of your dry mouth, when I use to take prilosec I had a dry mouth it also caused my face to be dry.  the medicine can also cause the burping.  these medicines for gerd and silent reflux cause problems
  • Posted

Hi Susan, I have had a very dry mouth in the last week or so which I didn't really suffer from before and when I burp sometimes I get liquid come back up my oesophagus and it too doesn't burn. Although this morning I woke up with a slight heartburn. After a lot of research and working with a nutritionist I have come to the conclusion that I have low stomach acid and what's causing it is a candida overgrowth. Have you heard of this? This is still a very controversial subject in mainstream medicine but when I asked my doctor about it he said it is something that the doctors are talking about in meetings. So hopefully in the next 5-10 years or so candida overgrowth will be treated by western medicine. For me that's too long to wait as I am housebound due to this problem. Do some research on it. It may be that this is also your problem?? Good luck. By the way my dry mouth has disappeared now.
    • Posted

Hi Anastasia, how are you treating your low stomach acid? Also how do you get tested for Candida overgrowth?

• Posted

Hi Julie, I am taking digestive enzymes with hcl. Also before eating I chew on a mixture of ginger root, lemon juice and a touch of salt for about 1 minute and then swallow it. Plus I've been eating raw garlic to deal with the candida. It seems to be helping. I did a comprehensive stool test which tests your stool for 3 days. It revealed an unbalance of bacteria, yeast overgrowth and parasites. I also did a MOAT (organic acids test) and that also revealed a yeast overgrowth. So if you only need to look for candida overgrowth perhaps the MOAT test is all you need to do which is the cheaper option. You do need a nutritionist or similar to order the tests for you though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.