Dry Mouth

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi does anybody experience a dry mouth since going through menopause, I have develope it the dentist thinks it Anixety doing it can be uncomfortable like you have cotton wool in your mouth, mornings are the worst, I have to buy chewing gum which can also dry up bit more sometimes.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes Maria,

It's very common as Monique mentioned, dry eyes can happen at same time. I had a period of 6 mths - 1 yr where both were an issue. I always kept a water bottle and sterile eye drops with me, even at night time. Thankfully it passes. There are certain mouthwashes specific for this as well that may help you. 

Anniexx

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I'm so relived to find that this is common 🙏🏼 I posted about it last week but only had 1 reply. I've had the dry mouth for a while but just got the Dry eyes !! Really worried me to be honest they felt like they were burning 😢 Are yours better now ? I'm seriously hoping this doesn't last it's very uncomfortable isn't it ?

Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie!

Glad this is helpiing to relieve some of your worry. I remember this happened to me before I found this site, I was always so scared something horrible was happening to me. It's nice to have others reassure us when it's possible, that much of these odd symptoms are fairly typical.

Yes, the dry mouth and dry eye are pretty much gone. Once in awhile one or the other may happen but it's no big deal, I still sleep with my water and eye drops on nightstand, just in case. wink

I am now considered menopausal as of 12/15 and slowly but surely, many of my symptoms are fading, just like others before me said would happen (I really felt I was going to be the exception and not be so lucky as them, back then, lol!) and sure enough, while I'm not totally symptom free, I am way better than when I was even 6 months ago.

So please know while all this is can be really uncomfortable and sometimes very worrisome, much of what you will experience, doesn't last for long, even though while in it, seems so. 

Take care Debbie, this is temporary.

Anniexx

• Posted

Dearest Annie,

You are such a sweetheart 🙏🏼😘 I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind and informative reply.

I'm so happy things are at last improving for you. It really is most reassuring to have someone as kind as yourself to offer such a supportive reply.

Thank you so very much

Love Debbie xx

• Posted

yes, been having for a long time now. especially at night. i find no saliva in my mouth and its difficult to swallow

i get up and sip water

dry eyes too at any time of say

dry lips ? i have to keep using vaseline 

• Posted

yes i think most of us get this, it can be down to anxiety, but also dehydration due to high inner temps, and the thirst is to warn you, you need to drink water for me, even if your stressed  water will help, try and wake in the night and drink a little, it can also be down to electrolytes being out of balance, salt in particular, so try drinking tomato juice which contains salt, it will definately help with thirst if its caused by dehydration as electrolytes go out of wack then, to test for dehydration pull your skin away from under your eyes, see how fast it goes back, also, check colour of urine when getting up in the morning, if its dark your dehydrated, as you drink water it will get lighter, meaning your drinking enough, but if its worse first thing in the morning, its more likely down to dehydration, but dry mouth can be anxiety symptom, which peri causes also, so, either way drink water.
  • Posted

Hi maria,

Yes I've got a horrible dry mouth, I've had it for years now.

Mine is not anxiety as I am on HRT which has been wonderful for depression and anxiety but I still have the dry mouth and so thirsty all the time.

I've been checked for diabetes several times and I'm fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.