Dry mouth a sign of perimenopause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a very dry mouth lately. I drink tons of water, some days seem better than others. Does anyone else suffer from this? If so what steps have you taken to help?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes my mouth gets really dry at night due to medications. Are you on any medications that could be causing dry mouth Are you on HRTs that can cause dry mouth
    • Posted

I do have on medication which can and probably does cause dry mouth, but it seems much worse lately. No HRT. 
  • Posted

Hi Calliane!

Yes, it can be. In my case it turned out to be something a little different that can occur during peri. I had it for a few months starting last fall. It's finally let up which is good.

My doctor told me it can be from hypothyroidism, which I am being treated for currently. I never went to bed without a glass of water for when I'd wake up feeling parched. Since a few weeks after starting meds, I no longer wake up with that feeling anymore.  Speak with your doctor to see if it may be Peri or something else like Sjögren's syndrome, which can cause this as well. All fixable issues, so please don't worry.wink

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi Callianne. 

On it's own without other symptoms no.

It may be a symptom of many other things (don't worry)  and perhaps you could 

talk to your doctor.

I'll PM you a link, see if it's useful.

Take care, night, night. Teresa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.