Dry mouth and phlegm in throat, Anxiety?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, im just looking for some reassurance as my anxiety is bad at the moment.

About 6 weeks ago i started with a really dry mouth that just wouldnt go away. But now ive started the need to keep clearing the back of my throat due to feeling that i have phlegm stuck and its making my chest feel tight, dry and wheezy. im fit and non smoker. Could this be my anxiety? This has been going on for a week or so. It doesnt get worse if im moving around. it just wont go away 😦 Thank you

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

i have this also, with persistent swallowing. it makes my throat dry that makes me cough and panics me into thinking its corona and then my chest goes tight.

• Edited

you could get tested for Corona, and rule that out and make yourself stop worrying about it. its pollen season and Allergies can also affect your throat with post nasal drip and mucus just sitting right by your airway causing you to panic. when this happens, i drink lots of water. water does two things, it lubricates your throat and thins out any mucus. i would suggest tea, but caffeine is bad for anxiety as well as sugar. gargle with warm salt water or listerine. try to take your mind off of it. easier said than done, i know. hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks for the comments!! my dry mouth and throat are still acting up. Drinking makes it better for a few mins but then comes back. also feels like ive got a knot in my stomach/throat. My anxiety has been pretty bad for a few months with constant dry mouth but its just getting worse and seems to be effecting other areas of the body. Anxiety can make you feel like youre dying and if you think about something for too long it starts to happen. Strange but ive got to tell my self it will go away again like it has before. just no time frame. 

• Posted

hi kerry just wondering if u managed to sort your problem I get so scared when my stress is though the roof it only effects 1 side of my throat it goes compleatly dry feel like I cant breath chest pain but only 1 side I scares me to death honestly

• Posted

hey, it finally went away when me stress levels got better. anxiety plays tricks on the mind, never forget that. Try to keep your mind off it as much as you can (the gym is my saviour) hope you feel better soon x

• Edited

Many medications cause dry mouth syndrome. I would recommend to try sucking on sugar free candies throughout the day as well as a lot of water. You should have a water bottle with you at all times and just sip it frequently. They also sell over-the-counter products called Biotene that help people a lot with these dry mouth symptoms. If it continues I would discuss this feeling with your doctor. Sometimes they can change your medications to something that does not have this side effect. Any medication that gives you a side effect that is giving you more anxiety than you had to begin with is not really doing its job!

Best of Luck

• Posted

prozac has the side affect of dry mouth. just saying. thanks for the info

• Posted

Hi,

I have the same throat problem which makes my Anxiety worse.

I got a scope down my throat, all was ok other than reflux, so I was given Omeprozole, which is not very good.

The cough with trying to clear my throat has hurted my chest muscles, but the doctor puts everything down to Anxiety now.

I'm in UK, and if you have any track record of Anxiety or depression that is what they blame for everything.

I'm on Mirtazipine 30mg for 4 weeks now, and I don't feel a bit better, also got Propranonol slow release capsule for Anxiety, helps some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.