Dry mouth and Vitamin D?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!  I haven't been here for a while, so a quick background - 46 years old, had ovary removed last year, 20+ years with Crohn's disease, peri symptoms/issues for 3 years.  I had a gyn exam in April with urinalysis (but not bloodwork) and all was normal.  In May, I had my GI/Crohn's follow-up exam; the doctor ordered bloodwork and results showed a Vitamin D deficiency.  The doctor said this happens in a lot of Crohn's patients and told me to supplement with 2,000 IU daily.  After I'd been on the supplement for a while, I felt like I had more energy overall.  

Around this same time, I stopped taking dicyclomine, which my GI doctor had prescribed for intestinal spasms.  Dry mouth is listed as a side effect for dicyclomine, but I have never had that side effect in all the years I've taken it.  However, I had to start taking it again a few weeks ago when the spasms recurred.  Within a few days of starting it, I started noticing that my mouth was drier than usual - not parched, but drier.  I drink lots of water daily, so I knew something was wrong.

I stopped taking the dicyclomine since I knew it could cause dry mouth.  My mouth was less dry but still drier than usual.  I became very scared that something serious could be wrong with me since dry mouth can signal serious problems.  Then, I read today that after taking Vitamin D for a while, the body can be getting more than it needs and dry mouth can be a symptom of that.  The tip of my tongue is red and slightly irritated/burning and I also saw this listed on a site about having too much Vitamin D in the body.

I am scheduling an appointment to have my Vitamin D checked again.  The GI doctor did not order a follow-up visit to check it, but I am going anyway to see if this is the problem or not.  It seems odd that the dicyclomine would suddenly cause dry mouth when it has never done that before, and taking the Vitamin D is really the only major change I've made.  I read that it doesn't take a high dose to produce these side effects, that it can build up over time and start causing problems, and I do also eat enriched foods and go out for walks in the sun.  The initial burst of energy that I felt after I started on the supplement is long gone, and I'm back to being just as tired, depressed, and anxious as I was before.  I am freaking out with worry that something serious is wrong - AGAIN - as it seems that's all I do since starting peri.  Please help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just found another site where someone with my exact symptoms says that they went away after discontinuing Vitamin D supplements.  I am going to stop taking them.  If anyone else has been through this, please reply.
  • Posted

Hi Liz,

I've not heard or read anything about vit.d causing dry mouth, but dry/burning mouth is yet another menopausal symptom. 

• Posted

Hi Supemack39, I didn't know that.  Very helpful!  I am reading more about that now.  It seems that it can come on with hormonal imbalance, particularly declining estrogen.  I had no idea but probably should have since everything else wrong with me except for the Crohn's seems to be tied to peri.  What a nightmare.  I'm going to a clinic this morning to see about getting bloodwork done again.  Thanks for the information!

• Posted

Hi Liz...when I had my bloodwork done about a year ago..my test showed I was Vit D deficiency..so had supplements for two months then just recently (one month)started taking calcium/vit D3 again..but found out was getting the same symptom as you..(dry mouth/sore throat/metallic taste)when I checked the side effects of too much vit D in the body, it had a list of symptoms which I also had.

Dont know, maybe you could check it and see. BTW have discontinued using vitD to see how I fare.

Prayers to all.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, thanks for replying... I stopped taking it and am also going to get additional lab work done by my gyn.  So many things out of whack with peri!  There are also thyroid problems and type 2 diabetes in my family so not taking chances - want to find out what's up!  Will let you know what it turns out to be... taking the Vitamin D is the only major health-related change I've made in a while.

• Posted

Hello,

I would like to add to this conversation and just remind you all, that the daily recommended dose of Vit. D is 400-600 IU's. So often with the craz of Vit D, Dr's think more is what we all need. Mine was also deficient and the Dr. wanted me to take 5,000 IU's. Well, I started with 1000 and it made my hands tingle wierdly and with each day I slept less and less as Vit. D is a stimulent. Now I take 400 IU's per day. My levels are within the norm and I have no side effects. Hope you all have a great day and God Bless.

Carmen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.