Dry mouth for 8 months! Could iodene help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there,

I have had an extremely dry mouth for 8 months now which is only getting worse sad

I am 21 years old, I am on no medication what-so-ever, drink MASSES of water, don't drink any tea/coffee/alcohol as these contain caffeine which would make the problem worse.

In the mornings my tongue is literally stuck to the roof of my mouth and extremely uncomfortable. During the day I produce little to no saliva and never feel the need to swallow (unless I'm drinking of course). I get mouth sores and sometimes the back of my mouth even bleeds it's that dry. I have a lot of difficulty sleeping and getting food down. This is really impacting my quality of life now sad

I have had blood tests for auto immune diseases, diabetes, under active thyroid, vitamin deficiencies and a bunch other stuff. The list goes on! (All came back clear)

Anyway! I read on a thread about a woman who cured her dry mouth by taking lugols iodene. There is research that shows the salivary glands need potassium iodide ( found in lugols) to produce saliva and a deficiency in this can cause dry mouth. It turns out all the food that contain iodene (fish, milk, seaweed) are the foods I tend to not eat. I though voilà! This is it!!!!

I incorporated those foods into my diet, all to no avail. I then started taking lugos iodene. However, it is only day 2 but my mouth feels even drier! I didn't even think that was possible sad

I suppose what I'm asking is...has anyone cured their dry mouth with iodene or used iodene in general? Did it make your mouth dryer? Did this subside? And more importantly, if I stick this out will my saliva eventually improve.

Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily, 

Sorry I can’t help you as I’m suffering from the same thing 🙁 so I can really sympathise with you.

If you find out how to cure this, please let me know & visa versa.

Take care xx

• Posted

It's horrendous isn't it! I will 100% let you know if it works, in fact I'll be screaming it from the rooftops as I genuinely wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I hope you find out a cure also 😘 xxx

• Posted

Bless you Emily. I totally understand.

I’ve got an appointment with my DR but not until 31st July 😩

I have suffered from health anxiety since April, & I’ve read/ heard that it’s one of the symptoms of Anxiety. 

The past couple of weeks I’ve been / felt a lot better which has decreased my anxiety massively. But now I’m constantly thinking why is my mouth so dry, plus my throat now feels dry and when I talk for a while my voice goes really croaky.

I’ve noticed redness on the R side on the roof of my mouth and I don’t know if it’s a gland but there’s a lump near the redness. I dearnt google my symptoms. 

My throat doesn’t feel sore.

I don’t know. 🙁 

Book yourself in to see your Dr to put your mind at rest xx

• Posted

Some medications could cause dry mouth. You could look at your medications and see if they cause your dry mouth...
    • Posted

I'm not taking any medication. It's a bit of a tricky one...😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.