Dry mouth waening off amitriptyline

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a discussion on here re coming off amitriptyline. i am currently on 2mg  but have been having a really really dry mouth and keep getting ulcers on my tongue. Has anyone else experienced this my throat is buring also.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A dry mouth is one of the main side effects of amatriptyline. I'm off it now, but I always had ulcers in my throat. Haven't had either since I've come off it. I was on 10 mg a day. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

​There are quite a few drugs that seem to cause a really dry mouth and Amitriptyline is one of them. Unfortunately, when the mouth is permanently dry bacteria is not dealt with. The natural process of saliva in the mouth day and night normally deals with bacteria keeping gum and dental problems at bay, but having a constantly dry mouth can cause ulcers and throat problems. When you are able to come off this drug and your normal processes resume this should go away. In the meantime, keep hydrated and ensure that cleaning your teeth and gums well is a priority along with a good mouthwash, like lysterine. When the tongue has the saliva moisture it needs all should be well again. I hope this helps you.

• Posted

Thankyou Elizabeth,  when i was taking 30mg of amitriptyline, my mouth was fine but, i have been weaning off this for a few months. I am currently on 2.5mg as increased today and my mouth is at its driest. Can this be right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.