Dry, Scaly, crusty, red blotch on penis head. What is it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This has just appeared sort of out of nowhere. It's not a bright red, but it definitely stands out from the rest of the skin. It stretches on the sides of the glans, and close to the tip, but in between the skin looks and feels normal. Which is another thing: not only does it clearly look different, but it also feels different, i.e. if I soap up the glans and run my thumb over it, the affected area feels more abrasive, and not as smooth.

I've been looking everywhere on the Internet, but I can't figure out what it is. Could it just be dried-out skin? I'm circumcised, and the skin will usually look a little dry after going from erect to flaccid, and exposure to air- but I haven't seen anything like this. Or is it something worse- balanitis, yeast etc? I can't say it itches or hurts at all.

I don't know what might have triggered this, but there are a few things I've thought of. I'm using Nizoral shampoo, and though I've been careful not to let it get anywhere near down there, it still might have. I've also used a scented soap, and a few days ago a water-based lubricant, which also contained a sweet-aromatic element. I can't think of anything else, but it must be a reaction to something.

File size is too bigI've attached a few pictures below.File size is too bigFile size is too big

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

it does look like a dried part of the skin. almost like when you wash your hands too often and dries them out and causes cracks to the skin. you might have to change your penile hygiene regimen. how long has it been this way?

• Posted

a few days. Like I said, it's usually kind of dry, like all circumcised penises, but these dried-out stretches are new. Today, I've noticed they're beginning to peel off- I'm just hoping when they're done doing that, they reveal smooth skin and don't come back.

• Posted

This is effecting several layers of your skin, rather than merely the top layer. Yes, this MAY have started as a yeast infection but it seems to have been in place for sometime.

You need to exclude ALL cleaning agents from getting anywhere near your penis as this will simply make it worse, certainly exclude soaps and you must ensure the shampoo you mention does not touch your penis!

At the moment you have dermatological condition, or perhaps even the beginning of what could potentially be a permanent skin condition. Get these: Aloe Vera Gel and try using this as a Lube - Coconut Oil (liquid version) which you need to coat your entire penis with twice a day, spend a minute or 2 gently massaging it into the head area of your penis. I would try using these for 3 or 4 weeks - use water only to clean your penis and dry completely straight afterwards.

Update you forum thread here after you have tried all of this - if this persists after 4 or 5 weeks I would look towards going to see a Dermatologist .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.