Dry skin

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently had screws and plates put in ankle. 2 weeks ago I got stotches out and not the skin is dry and peeling. Is there anything I can put on to help dryness without effecting Incisions?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My surgeon told me to rub cocoa butter on the dry skin.He also ordered me 4 topical creams and gels I am waiting on to come.
  • Posted

Any type of think rich moisture cream will be a great help. Cocobutter is great. Mine had to be reapplied twice a day, for weeks. Good luck. Sx
  • Posted

Hello there,

I have had two surgeries on my ankle since July 13th when I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle.

I was putting lotion on my leg and foot as much as I could tolerate, as the area is very sensitive and sore, but I was finding that nothing was being absorbed.  I started putting baby oil on my foot when I had it out of the cast to cleanse and air it. This has worked like a charm, my leg/foot no longer looks like it would make a good lizard purse.

I did not put the oil directly on the incisions until they had healed for a few weeks, but now my incisions and foot look so much better and more 'normal' to look at.

Just a suggestion, but it worked for me.  Good luck in your recovery!

• Posted

I used Bio Oil & within days the dryness was gone. I used it twice a day. It's also good for reducing appearances of incisions. 

• Posted

I was advised to use an oil but I found it too messy. I bought some aqueous cream which did the trip. I'm 4 weeks cast free and my skin still gets a bit dry occasionally but the cream certainly helps.

• Posted

Let your incision heal, it will heal faster than you think and the dry skin will peel off. Took about two weeks for me to get it all off. I used a small loofa and rubbed it gently with each shower. Once your scar does heal, begin massaging it so that scar tissue doesn't form. Gentle massage it from side to side, wish I would have known this! My skin is so tight my therapist is having to "snake bite" me...They suction the incision (like cupping) to pull it away from the scar tissue to loosen it. It really feels like a snake has sunk his fangs into ya! After all we've been through already I don't want anyone else to have to go through this! Good Luck!

• Posted

I soaked my leg and feet in warm water with Epsom salts nearly daily after coming out of my cast, it really worked. 7 months later my skin is really really dry despite daily moisturising. I cannot touch my operation scar, too painful still, but I use a spray Aveeno moisturiser to keep the scar painless. Not enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.