Dry skin after ankle surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had ankle surgery on 30 June to repair 2 broken bones. This includes a plate and screws. On day 10, I was transitioned from a cast to a walking boot with explicit instructions not to bare weight or remove for more than one hour a day. I had my staples removed as well. (I passed out from the pain). 😣 I'm now at 6 weeks and my skin is atrocious. I let the water run on it in the shower and I've taken one bath which was scary to say the least. I wipe off dead skin and I apply lotion but is there anything else I can do? My foot stays a slightly red color unless i move it below my heart then it takes on a nice purply red color and swells.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used Bio oil and that cleared my dry, peeling skin issues in two days.
    • Posted

It's an oil that a lot of people use for dry skin or to help reduce scarring and stretch marks. I get it at Walmart so you don't have to find a specialty store. That was the only thing I used on my leg and foot, besides rubbing it with a wash cloth in the shower. As I mentioned, the dry skin cleared up in just a couple of days.

• Posted

Shea butter, coconut oil, and it took a couple weeks for the outside of my foot to not be hard and scaly. Maybe the bio oil is the way to go. I had my splint on for almost 3 weeks total.
    • Posted

The bottom of my foot is horrid and in between my toes, yikes! Im using Aveeno lotion for now which is helping my leg but I need heavy duty for below my ankle, lol! 😆

• Posted

The bottom of my foot and ties were the same as you Try soaking your foot with warm water and tea tree oil it worked for me .

I used E45 lotion for around the scar to stop the dry skin. 

I am nearly 19 weeks post orif broken tibia and finished with plates and screws . Purple foot has stopped now and can just walk without a crutch  last couple of days with a limp . Ankle still swells and hurts but getting better by the day . 

• Posted

I'm at same stage as you JULIAN,. Still apply thick rich moisture cream, and doing skin the world if good. My limp can be bad on some days. I think it's because I don't have great movement in my ankle at the moment plus I need operation on the knee too. Which was why I fell in the first place. Trust me to now be getting better with the ankle and now have to get this bloody knee done. Sx

• Posted

Sandra sorry to hear you need another op .my knee was saw as I didn't weight bear for 9 weeks . Both ankle and knee seem better this week . Hydrotherapy works well .

• Posted

Glad your ankle n knee is feeling better this week.. I need op on knee for. Torn cartilage, I received the letter from the hospital ready to go for the pre op appointment on the very same day I had my fall!!! So everything was put on hold. But things have got worse now because of the ankle. Pain can be really bad, plus making me walk with quite a bad limp so with both things going on one thing isn't helping the other. 😔. Sx

• Posted

Thanks Julian,

That dang purple foot can be intimidating. My hubby kinda of freaks out a bit especially when i get out the shower. Its purple, waterlogged, and swollen. A nasty sight for sure. Glad to know it's normal and nothing to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.