Dry, stinging, bloodshot eyes for 2-3 months

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi guys, I am quite new to this but at my wits end of what to do about my eyes. Earlier this year, I noticed I was blinking a lot more than usual but it wasn't having any negative impact. In the summer I noticed the blinking getting worse and then I went to the optiician who said I had moderate dry eye disease. She recommended lubricating drops. Nothing was improving and I went to another optician who said I had Blepharitis. He recommended a warm eye pad and regular cleaning of my lids. This hasn't improved things either. I went to my GP who confirmed the blep and put me on a 4 week course of Deoxycycline. I've been on them 3 weeks and guess what, no improvment! It's affecting me quite negatively, have to wear my glasses all the time (previous wearer of lenses for 14 years with no problems). I'm not wearing eye makeup either incase it exacerbates my symtoms. I hate not being able to look groomed, sorry if that's shallow! I'm interested to read that it could be a candida overgrowth, I have suffered fungal infections before. I eat quite well, but suspect there might be a little to much sugar (alcohol etc). My eyelids looks a little red and slightly swollen, my eyes constantly look tired and a little bloodshot, this is worse during the week when I am working at a screen. Any advice at all? I am trying to eat more Omega 3 in my diet as well because I've read this might help. I suspect if it is candida that the antibiotic will be making me worse! Any feedback much appreciated xx

1 like, 135 replies

135 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Allergy to Coconut and Coconut Oil Can Imitate or Cause Blepharitis

Hi...first time writing here, but came across this site when I was checking on whether allergies to coconut and coconut oil were being recorded any more prevalently. I hope this will get read since it has been a while since anyone else has written on this thread.  

I was skin tested for food allergies when I started to develop some inflammation and swelling around my mouth. I did have skin allergies to eggs and a few other things when younger, but had outgrown all of them. I found out that I was allergic to Shrimp and Coconut. I had been eating those foods without any issues for 5 decades or more prior to these changes. I gave up shrimp and coconut or so I thought...

Soon after I started having issues with my eyes, dryness, severe itching and the whites of my eyes turning redder and redder, just awful looking.  I couldn't wear contacts, no point in wearing eye makeup as I'd rub it off and I was afraid of infecting my eyes.

I was diagnosed with Blepharitis, and I did indeed have it as the little "plugs" would occasionally get rubbed out from the oil glands.  I did everything the doctor said and I got no permanent relief from the itching. It was really horrible. I tried the diluted baby shampoo with a q-tip which felt good for a bit, the soaks with warm water felt good for a bit, multiple different moisturizing drops, allergy drops, and prescribed combination antibiotic/steroid drops. Nothing gave me relief so I walked around with a bottle of moisture drops everywhere I went and tried not to rub my eyes.

It occurred to me that I should check the ingredients in the flavored coffee creamers at work when it seemed my eyes were getting worse, the whites of my  eyes so red without even being rubbed and itching.  The creamers were not individually labeled so I had to find a box, and low and behold it is in all of the flavored creamers.  Coconut oil is in many many foods as an additive but I had missed this one and was using them on a regular basis at work.  Who knew? I stopped using them and became all the more vigilant in reading labels.

My eyes improved, they totally cleared, the Blepharitis totally went away for me. It took about 2-3 weeks for all symptoms to pass.  I have no problems as long as I stay away from Coconut and coconut oils and I'm not turning back!

Coconut or Coconut Oil are in many of the following:

Majority of store-bought bakery goods

Coffee Flavorings and Coffee Creamers

Chocolate  (always read ice cream and candy ingredients)

Caramel  (always read gelato and candy ingredients)

Many granola and energy bars

Cool-Whip

If it is a dessert I don't eat it unless I see a label...it's just not worth it.

If this helps anyone I would love to hear.   Best of Luck

• Posted

Your story sounds so familiar. I was treated for acute conjunctivitis for six months. My eyes looked like a was stabbed with a fork and I had non stop tears and mucous. I recently changed doctors and found out I have Blepharitis. I am taking doxycycline, Xiidra, Lotemax, Systane, and omega 3 along with warm compresses. Crazy right ?  But within a week my constant tearing, red eyes, and stringy mucous is very much improved. Hopefully in time I will cut out most of the meds but for now I feel better. I am scheduled for a lipiflow procedure this week. I hear that most people didn’t have much luck with it but I want to try everything that could help. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.