Dry throat

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have this sensation down the left side of my throat, it feels like my throat is dry and stuck together, I have a constant post nasal drip which I am hoping is the cause of it? However, it's so annoying its driving me mad, could it be my oestrogen level is lower causing it?

I know we all experience different symptoms, and I have been putting it down to perimenopause but am worrying myself sick that it is something sinister and am putting too much down to peri rather than explore other reasons

I'm so worried its bringing me down now

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi Jo,

I get this too. Very dry mouth. Dry throat. I get tickles right in the spot where my gag reflex gets activated, so I feel like if I clear too hard to get rid of the tickle, I'll gag.

I have to have a cold drink close by at all times to keep from sticking together.

Also, this fall instead of nose running and watery eyes like usual, my eyes are dry and goopy and Im all dry in my nose.

My gyne says estrogen (or lack thereof) effects all the mucous membranes...ear, nose, throat, digestion, urinary tract... not just the girly ones.

Could also be that some acid from the tummy backs up into the throat overnight... my Mom has bouts of this, and causes her dryness and throat irritation. She doesnt take anything for it unless it gets really bad.

Hugs to you, I know these symptoms are so frustrating and worrying!!

Sara

• Posted

Thank you Sara, that is so helpful to know, and puts my mind at ease

I'm sorry you are going through it too, its the little things that seem to play on the anxiety side , trying hard to ignore them

Hugs to you too, may all these symptoms vanish!!!

• Posted

Amen!! I had my first appt with a therapist yesterday to try to work out some better ways to cope with getting anxious about the symptoms. The symptoms are exhausting enough... I can't keep carrying the fear around with me too.

It was mostly the introductory stuff... her getting to know me and why I was there. But it did feel good to unload the fear for a little while.

If I get some good skills over the coming weeks, I'll come back and share.

• Posted

oh please do! symptoms that had almost vanished for me are back. i need therapy too!

• Posted

okay so left side of throat hurt when i swallowed for months. i had the camera up my nose and down the throat. he said he thought it was silent reflux. it did finally go away. i had to quit thinking about it constantly and i cut out tomato products for a while

• Posted

I too have had a sore throat for 5 months now. saw the Dr labs all normal. swallowing n eating normal. just a pesky sore throat. I'm trying not to worry about it. after reading up on peri/menopause I'm thinking that's the cause. I'm 51.

• Posted

Dear Jo

I get left side of tongue and mouth feels dry, it seems to come and go!

• Posted

Hi there

I have been to the GP last week with this. Post Nasal drop... keeping me awake at night and constant flem and mucus at the back of my throat. I got a steroid spray but this didn't make a difference.

I am recovering from a chest infection so I thought it was due to this but I have had post nasal drip before. I am also having many hot flushes. I am 10 years into this and I am at the post menopause stage and yes, once the hormones change, it affects the mucus lining in the sinus. Hormones or declined of them, affect everything and a GP told me this years ago.

This is all part of the transition and it is not at all easy. Its a nightmare but it will pass.

You are not alone in this so do not worry as part of the course. Get as much fresh air into your bedroom at night when sleeping. Avoid to much heat or air con as they dry out our sinus.

Drink plenty of water and get lots of rest.

Hope this helps

CK

• Posted

Hi, I realise this was two years ago now but I was wondering if you managed to find out what was causing this problem? I am in peri and having these exact same symptoms. Really starting to worry now. Thanks

• Posted

hi there, afraid I never got to the bottom of it, but it isnt there really as much, or I'm just used to it!

I do believe its all part of peri, just another annoying symptom

sorry i cant be of more help x

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I'm glad it seems

to have resolved itself and is just another part of peri. So many annoying symptoms. x

• Posted

I've been going threw the sore throat feels like it's burning at times , gets really dry at times with my mouth , my periods stopped but this month I'd spot then have a blood show making me think I was starting after going to the bathroom then go back and it's stopped which confuses me I was told in 2021 I was perimenopause didn't start the throat issues till sometime last year comes and goes throat seems to stay irritated anymore but swabs and labs all are fine , I have moments when it hits me and I feel like I have the flu to it just clearing up , I feel like crying because it freaks me out, then I feel horrible because I'm not trusting in God , my chest and upper back will hurt off and on , my right lower rib started hurting, hurting under my left arm pit off and on cant stand anything on it , very irritable, stressed out feel like I'm going crazy to just have Dr's look at me like I am when you mention symptoms that everyone on here seems to be having just like me they act like they've never heard of it , so that stresses me out even more , blood pressure and allergies are crazy , I'm just so tired of all of it anymore I feel like breaking down and giving up at times just so overwhelmed

• Posted

Hello,

I've read through these posts and though I have had burning tongue and a dry throat, it has not been my worst symptom so I've pushed through. I thought I would mention a product that works great for dry mouth and would work for at least part of the throat if you gargled. It's called Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse. It is very gentle and works well. Very soothing. Give a go. Hope it helps. Hang in there. Blessings,

Carmen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.