Dry winter air and low humidity

Posted , 2 users are following.

In the winter I always start itching all over due to central heating and dry air. My nasal passages, throat and upper chest also dry out making it difficult to breathe in bed.

I bought a clock that combines time, temperature and humidity. All winter the humidity

has only been between 18 and 20 percent. Saucers of water placed around the house have not helped. I'll need to buy a dehumidifier for next winter.

Any others finding the same problem?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

OH yeah...I tried humidifier and seems to help a little . Dry mouth dry eyes and nose...have eye drops and vaceline in nose on lips and special lozenges on the market for dry mouth also help. Toothpaste and mouthwash too. Every winter is a battle ro stay rehydrated with heat on all the time. Lots of moisturizers and I switched body soaps to natural soap like oatmeal soaps and glycerin soaps. Most soaps contain harmful ingrediatens that dry out skin even worse especially sodium laural sulfate is in almost all soaps and toothpaste.     

Drink lots of water, moisturize switch soaps and use oils on skin after shower. Coconut oil is what I use . Also bath oils added to baths soft water and keep balanced in vitamin D B and C. Sometime face line on overnight can be wonderful and using skin protectant instead of lotion or moisturizers will hold moisture in skin since cold dry weather wicks away moisture. That's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck. 

• Posted

Face line should be vasceline. Sorry! Spell ck.....
    • Posted

Thank you for that. I do much of that apart from the Vaseline as for some reason my skin does not like it. Inside of my nose becomes red and inflamed with it. I said this to a dermatologist who replied that I was the second person to tell him that today. We do live in a hard water area. 
    • Posted

Alrighty... Vaseline was just a idea there are tons of other lip and nose moisture protectors on the market that I’m sure your not allergic to.

And your gonna luv this one. But it works. One last thing nobody likes doing is occlusion on hands and feet using a oil or heavy cream wrap with Cling wrap. Only done when needed. Really works and help prevent dry cracked hands and feet. 

Thank goodness spring is here and weather is better and summer is on the horizon.

• Posted

Here in South East England  spring has been coming and going. Hope it settles soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.