Duck feet

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone else noticed the foot on the end of their operated knee turning out wards when they walk. I have noticed that even though I am still using crutches that my left points outwards even though I am trying to pull it back into line it just reverts

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Haha glad I'm not the only one! My husband walks behind me to let me know how I'm doing and pointed out that the lower half of my leg (from the knee) sticks out as i walk ! 

To compensate i tried walking with it turned in and ended up like a duck.! 

Here's hoping that little gem soon clears up! 

• Posted

Me too!    It was my physio who pointed it out to me. ... He said it was the body's way of trying to keep our balance. . 
  • Posted

This is when you need to start slowing dow n and really make sure you are practicing the proper stride. Step out normally, hitting the heel, ball of the foot then toe on each step and with both legs. Your bad leg definitely has to be trained to walk properly as for some time before surgery you were walking in pain and your main goal was to get from point A to point B and not trying for style points. Its really difficult to change this as all you have in mind is the bend and the straight and all the other parts if recovery. I was fortunate I believe, here we use walkers instead of crutches and it was much easier to slow down and step as you don't have to worry about using as much strength to keep from falling on your butt.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for all your help and advice. ..There have been times I was really struggling and coming on this group really helps... especially whenI have felt as though i would never improve. ... when i look back to how i was 17 weeks ago... I really have...  you really should think of taking up a counselling type role...  best wishes to you and your wife.. take care. ... Mary 
    • Posted

You seem to be very knowledgeable on things knee wise have you had any training or is it all from personal experience and research
    • Posted

No training just fighting the tumor problem (pvns) for 12 years, doing research, talking to docs and lots of rehabbing fellow sufferers. Then there are certain genetics that figure in. I've always said being  a hard headed German helps.......you get to do everything twice.....once for practice and once correct, maybe. 
    • Posted

Good for you. Making the most of every situation to help yourself and others
  • Posted

I has this problem before surgery due to deterioration and pain. After tkr my physiotherapist gave me exercises to strengthen my ankle so my ankle, knee, hip and shouldee would track on the same plane. I have to work at it but it has improved on both replacements.
  • Posted

I have been knock-kneed all of my life. Now the knee on my operated knee is straight, the other one still turns in. I have been trying to retrain myself to walk. Oldfatguy, you have helped me heaps, thanks.

Caz

• Posted

Hi 

yes the foot does that at first you just have to concentrated n putting your heel down first and it will tend to sort itself out 

I  think at first we tend to tiptoe as we're afraid of the pain

i'm still concentrating at 17 weeks on 

Jean 

• Posted

Mine was pointing out at first but after 8 weeks it just seems to have corrected itself.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.