Due to have UAE

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm a 51 year old with two large fibroids 9 and 10cm diameter . The latter causes me bladder blockage and have suffered with UTis  for over two years until diagnosis of fibroids after ultrasound and MRI. I was offered hysterachtomy but decided to go for a second opinion and have now been offered UAE. I'm due to have treatment tmrw and thought I would document my experience here for others that might be in a similar position. I've never really had the heavy flows that others experiene until recently bleeding for 3/4 weeks but I'm pretty sure this is due to peri menopause symptoms. I do have to self cathetize now as the fibroid has grown rapidly and completely block my uretha. I'm hoping that the fibroids will shrink enough to cease my symtoms and then as I'm  about to hit menaupuse might shrink naturally after. I do have an extended uterous of a 22 week pregnancy so hoping that will eventually go down to. The other fibroid is penduculated and is not being treated so will see how I go. I've found reading some of these posts has given me courage to make this decision withou evasive surgery thank you. Will post update on recovery soon 

3 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had multiple fibroids intramural and subserosal, largest vein 7x7x7cm and uterus size 20 weeks pregnant, I'm 36. When u found out I was distraught, felt like an alien invasion of my body. Had experienced heavy periods, and slight urinary incontinence. Initial hospital referral was awful and Dr only said she'd put me on the pill, in the end I complained and insisted on being referred to a hospital in Central London. I was put on esmya for 6 months and despite weight gain felt great, could feel bulk of fibroids had reduced. Due to work commitments I decided to go private for UAE, although was offered choose of hyst, myomectomy or UAE with NHS. Had UAE nearly 2 weeks ago and didn't feel half as much pain as if anticipated, procedure went well - had anti-imflammatories, paracetamol and morphine, went home the next day. Tired for a few days with some leg pain. Just started to have sciatica type pain in legs and buttocks, hope that passes soon. Hope your procedure goes well. I really think there should be so much more investigation into fibroids as women suffer so with it. Good luck.
    • Posted

I am now 2 weeks post operation, the nausea and cramps stopped at 12 days. I am still sore in my groin area and have leg pain on and off and the tiredness hasn't improved much, still worn out doung the simplest of tasks. I see the radiologist for a scan on 27th June to see if anything has happened in relation to half they managed to do. I have definitely decided I'm not going through this again, the post op period was brutal and I am constantly worried about any twinge being the start of an infection. I plan to get over this and then go private in the hope they will agree to do a hysterectomy. I hope you all are doung ok?
    • Posted

Hi kelle,

Yes my procedure went well thanks, am two weeks in and apart from a little tiredness I'm feeling okay. Am yet to see the results and improvement in bladder blockage symptoms but can feel slight cramping so hopefully they are shrinking. I agree that each consultant I have seen vary in their opinion and treatment recommendation. I think every women's has to go with their gut feeling of what feels best for them but the statistics show that many element are having hyst without options so I would urge them to get second opinion and look at UAE. Good luck with your recovery and may your symptoms improve soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.