Due to start Amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. My psychiatrist wants to start me on Amitriptyline for chronic depression and psychosis, next time I see her. She wanted to start me on it last week, but I told her I wanted to research the drug first - which is what I always do.

I'm worried about the side effects I may experience as I seem quite sensitive to medication. I'm very worried about gaining weight. I have an eating disorder, anxiety and OCD... And a lot of my depression is based around how I look and perceive myself.

I assume my psychiatrist start me on a low dose and build it up gradually. What can I expect?

Thank you for any advice

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Side effects I've had since May 30-40 mg

Ringing in ears

Hangover effect next day

Dry mouth

Blurry vision

Weight gain

Takes around 4-6 weeks to get full benefit

I take it for long term chronic pain

You may want too tell your psychiatrist your worries as it may not be the right drug for you

For me it's been a great Found it hard at the start I still get tired on it I'm sure others will tell you what it like too

• Posted

I've been on it for pain for over 16 years, guess it being an antidepressant and great for numbing pain at the nerve end hence stopping it from travelling throughout the body..its also is a bonus being an antidepressant..as with this Fibro we can easily get depressed..I take 25 mg about 7pm...get a great painless sleep..yes it does make you feel a bit numb the next day when you first start to take it...I often feel tired-a side effect..but once I'm about my day it wears off...I have never put weight on with it either..I have never had it increased  in all these years..however I was originally put on 50mg per night..I just couldn't function...I was like a zombie all day the next day...they were too strong..having said that..it's very different for different people..so you may be on a different dose.....it's a great medication..many of us Fibro suffers are on it..hope it works well for you...you will get plenty of info on here about it..each of us seem to have different side affects, but that's ok, we are all different anyway....have a lovely day Rachel..God bless..:-)xx

PS..dry mouth in the night seems to be a side effect for all of us..easily remedied with water on your night stand...plus some experience palpitations here and there...I don't.xx

• Posted

Thank you for your advise guys, hopefully this drug will be able to help me.
  • Posted

Hi

i was on it for nerve pain for 8 months. Very little to no extra benefit over the meds already on but I did put on 2 stone in 2 months and there had been no change in my very healthy diet and overall put on 3 stone in the 8 months. This did affect my mood and nearly gave up my healthy diet but eventually convinced the docs to allow me to stop the drug. Weight gain now stopped. I should have just stopped the drug earlier anyway but do tend to deffer to knowledge of docs even though was causing me lots of problems. The other side effects set me back massively over the 8 months but won't go on about that as the reasons I was prescribed drug different to yours but there are lots and lots of other cases on here of people struggling with weight on this drug and struggling to loose after. I am susceptible to lots of meds so I would say be very careful especially with the othervissues you mentioned, weight gain could set you back. Everyone is different but please search on here further before making up your mind. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.