Dull Ache ln Abdomen

Posted , 3 users are following.

The past couple of weeks I've had this persistent dull ache in the middle of my abdomen above the belly button. Sometimes a little further up and sometimes a little further down, sometimes all of the above but its located to that small area. At times it's kind of crampy-like. I have a diagnosis of IBS and have many other symptoms like acid reflux and stomach problems so I've just left it as I thought it may go away after a few days, but it's still there so I'm a little concerned. Have taken gaviscon and I take Omeprazole daily anyway... Hesitant to go to the doctor again as I don't have the greatest experience with them. Obviously I may have to if it doesn't go away, but thought I'd see if anyone else here has had a similar experience first.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi t92012

Could it be your diet?...have you tried keeping a good diary to see if there is a correlation between the food you eat and the dull ache.. try doing this and see what transpires...

• Posted

You are experiencing an IBS flare up which can last hours, days, weeks or even months. Try an antispasmodic such as Buscopan or a painkiller which will help with the pain. The antacids you are taking will help with reflux but not the pain. Above all, stay as calm as possible because anxiety will increase the length and severity of your flare up. My first IBS flare up lasted three and a half months because I was very anxious because no one knew what was wrong. Once I was diagnosed, my panic cleared up and so did my symptoms. Try distraction techniques such as light exercise such as walking and a hobby. Try a food diary to see if a food is triggering symptoms.

• Posted

A persistent dull ache is one of the types of pain associated with IBS. I had this type of pain with my IBS along with stabbing pain, deep grinding pain and neuralgic sore to touch pain. My pain moved about as you describe and was generalised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.