Dull aches

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm now 10weeks post opp from a rectocele repair. I am currently on my monthly cycle and I'm still feeling this dull ache down below is this normal, has anyone else had this feeling?.xxx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Topsi,

I'm eleven weeks post op, rectocele, and have a burning feeling if I do much at all. I'm post menopausal, so obviously no periods.

But intense swollen and burning feeling, so at this stage I think we can still expect odd feelings and aches.

• Posted

Hello! I had my repair on the 18th - so about the same time as you.I have an ache if I've done too much! I do actually feel a bit better this week. I do think  there may be light at the end of the tunnel (bad metaphor there!) and I may one day be "me" again.

?I haven''t had a period since the 7th April. Nothing. As soon as the packing was taken out I went into mega hot flush  mode. At the post op the consultant said it was nothing to do with the op but I think it is a bit too much of a spooky life coincidence! One GP said he thought it could be the shock of the op - which just showed to me how traumatice the op really is - that has sen tmy body into shock.

?Regarding the ache. If I feel better and do a bit more the next day I ache - like a period ache or very early labour ache. Now I think it's because I've done too much. Add a monthly cycle ache and I can imagine it will ache. My advice? Take some pain killers and rest a bit more. But a take away for dinner and do nothing over the weekend. Are you back at work yet?

• Posted

I'm a mobile beautician so I'm doing little bits but still taking it easy still. It's just hard to be on slow speed when you have a 4 & 6 year old. I do think I probably do more than I should each day but just feel so frustrated all the time and now this dull ache down below is making me feel so I hope you feel better soon to.xxx

• Posted

Ah! I am still signed off - will have been off for 12 weeks plus one weeks leave by the time I go back. I know what you mean about whizzing around. My children are older (much, much older) so I do have the luxury of them being independent - one has long left home and the other just finished gcse. But life seems to fill up withohter things - mainly elderly parents!!. I think it's the feeling better - doing stuff - feeling bad again - cycle that is frustrating. It was almost easier in the early days when I couldn't do anything - just the htought of lifting more htan a 4pt milk carton was enough. Now I feel mentally better I think ' oh I should do that' then try something then the next day is a bit grotty.  My GP constantly says "just beacuse there isn't a scar doesn't mean it's not major surgery." He said this after my knee ops and this one. These days with keyhole surgery it's very easy to forget the inside chopping around is much the same - there just isn't the expernal wounds.

?This week I do feel better mentally and must start to think about going back to work...................................I also need to build up some stamina as well to be able to last the day. I'm due back to see the GP on th e 4th to check out the bloods re. menopause etc.

• Posted

Topsi,

I think it would probably be normal to feel like that especially as your cycle will probably cause aches and pains anyway.

im 15 weeks rectocele tomorrow and today although taking plenty of movicol my bowel has decided to become constipated! problems still occur now.

I still cannot go back to my job as it is too physical and my GP has reffered me back to see consultant though I've already got my post op appt in july so i expect i will get to see them before GP's referral.

Its all very frustrating isn't it. and always another hurdle to get over.

Hope you are healing well apart from the monthlies.

take care 

Mik xx

• Posted

I've been on lactulose once a day still, and dulcalax every night, I'm at eleven weeks now, and tried to lower dose of dulcalax, but like you became constipated, so back on it last night, and relief this morning.

I think It's got to be a permanent part of my routine for now.

It is frustrating, but still don't want to strain.x.

• Posted

I suffer from severe IBS which makes it both a nightmare, im now in IBS faze this morning but i can feel a block not feeling too well at mo, but a tin of prunes as part of my lunch will no doubt kill or cure. lol

Laura have you been prescribed dulcalax? i was told body gets used to it and your bowel will become sluggish as it craves more, my gp wont prescribe if for me (dulcaease is different) thats why its movicol and lactulose for me which he reckons i will  probably need for rest of my life. but at least it means im fairly regular as before i could go 3-7 days without going.

hope you are feeling ok and take good care.   Mik xx

• Posted

No I'm not prescribed it, and having been on a high fibre for years due to piles and anal fissure, I have never needed anything, twice maybe three bm's a day before op.

But I'm willing to take a chance to avoid the fissure being bad again, which was one of the reasons I had this surgery, I bled an awful lot.

I don't see how a rectocele repair can affect the frequency of bowel movements, but maybe it's the lack of excersice as well.

3-7 days is a long time :-(

• Posted

Be careful my lovely but im sure you will. I had a bowel bleed on monday after i hoovered (dr thinks i just over did it) first time i had tried, wont be trying for a couple of more weeks.

along with the rectocele I had a rectal plication which was performed as i needed to be able to empty my bowel instead of storing it, this has helped a bit but my dr is not happy with what that has left me with internally which is why im being referred again.

this op for me has been a very slow long recovery, I have done everything by the book but im so used to rushing about for my job, swimming most evenings and busy weekends, walking and being very active this has really taken it's toll on me physically im just not used to or happy being sedentary. so ive found it very hard. so totally agree with you about the lack of exercise, though i can now swim for the same amount of time and distance as pre op just not as many times a week.

xx

• Posted

I bled yesterday after a week of regular dulcalax, I missed a dose,,and did a bit more walking and housework, plus I don't think it helped stretching to get in the car.

I'd had a full week without a fissure  bleed and stung like mad, so I'm resigned to laxatives for the foreseeable future.

You are doing well getting back to swimming, I'm not ready for that yet.

Will lookup rectal plication..x.

• Posted

I had rectocele op a year ago this week. All went really well and I am fine but still get aching, especially if I have walked long way or stood for a long time. I assume its where the muscle was sewn and now has scar tissue.
  • Posted

I'm 8 week post op for a@p with another op to come in October because anterior failed and prolapse has come back. Decided to go to work today as year group I work with had their concert (nursery). Stayed the whole day and am absolutely exhausted with period like pains and dragging.

Take care all

Caroline xx

• Posted

Caroline go and put your feet up, you've had a very rewarding day but maybe a tad too much, rest and recover now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.