Dull headache top of head along side head sensations

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I have been getting weird bits of head pain for the last month or so and can't seem to get a solution to stop it as of yet.

long story short, I get a pain on the top right side of my head. It happens everyday although the intensity does change and goes from not being there at all to a dull hurting pain (about a 4 out of 10). I also feels like someone is pushing down on this part of my head to the stage where I can almost feel it in my mouth (hopefully that makes sense!)I can't seem to stop it and it is causing me to wake up at night, especially in the last week or so. I have noticed that it gets worse when my head shakes as well, for example when I am in a car and you drive over a bumpy road etc

Originally I thought it was anxiety but ive been far calmer the last month or so and this still continues. I have also put hot pads on my neck to see if that helps but no joy there. Has anyone else got any suggestions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glenn2020,

This headache may well be anxiety, the reason I say this is because, stress and anxiety live deep within the body. You may well be feeling that you are calmer but the stress and anxiety may still be there. Have you got a hobby (a calming one), that you like to do, or try mindfulness. There are plenty of apps on the phone. If you are still concerned, speak to your doctor to rule out anything sinister.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried the mindfulness and calm apps but I cant get them to work for me.

I have got a GP appointment tomorrow so fingers crossed I can get something to help with this 😦

• Posted

Hi Glenn2020,

I hope all goes well tomorrow. Will you let me know how it goes?

Give the mindfulness a chance, it does take practice, I swear by it. I find the informal practice works wonders.

Good luck tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi, I thought I would give an update. the GP sent me to A+E to have tests. I am now due to go to a optromatist in the next few days as there appears to be a slight problem with the blurryness. Fingers crossed it is okay!

• Posted

Hello, so thought I would give another update. Since I posted this, I have had an MRI and CT scan. Both was okay. They did find I was very low in B12 so on the injections.

I have noticed that the weird head sensations/pressure seems to be worse when I am upright. If I am laid down they don't seem to be as bad at all. Could anxiety be worse being upright rather than flat? Seems random if so!

If anyone does have any advice, please shoot it over

• Posted

Hi Glenn -

I wanted to check in and see how you're feeling now? I posted a couple weeks ago, as I am having very similar symptoms but they are on my left side vs. right side. Like with you, it feels like a dull pressure, as if someone is pressing their finger on the top of my head. This pressure seems to go through to the roof of my mouth, even upper teeth - and it's not painful, just a slight pulsating/throbbing feeling. I recently had my eyes checked, my ears checked, went to my GP for this issue and she felt it was anxiety/tension headaches. I had bloodwork done, and everything came back within range. Can I ask what your B level was? Mine was 409, and while on the lower end of the range it was still 'normal' . I don't eat any animal products but do take supplements.

Anyway, in addition to this odd feeling in my head I also get 'jittery brain' where it feels like someone injected caffeine into my brain. I do think this is probably anxiety related, though but curious if you experienced the same? I feel like it also makes my eyes jittery - I have trouble focusing (and concentrating!) I also have a slight ringing in my ears. It seems very faint and honestly sometimes I think I'm imagining it. My dull head pain is pretty consistent, although it has gone away for hours at a time which is amazing.

A few things that I wanted to share - not sure if they'll be helpful but just in case... I went to a chiropractor who said I had a disc out in my neck (on the left side) so I've been going for regular visits.

I sit at a PC all day for work, and when I'm not working I'm staring at my phone so I am sure I have 'text neck' so I've been doing some exercises found online to help with this.

I also found a good online article from round earth publishing that talked about referred pain from areas in the neck/shoulders/jaw (do you grind or clench your jaw? This could be a culprit of dull pain in the head)

I went for a massage and that got rid of the dull ache for a short while - but it came back 😦 However, I am going to be better about getting these more frequently when I can.

I am also in CBT therapy, although I just started. My doc also prescribed me Lexapro which I was very hesitant about taking, but finally sucked it up and started taking .5mg per day. It's been a few days, so not sure if it's going to work but if it helps with some of the anxious feelings, I'll take it for a while!

Please let me know how you're doing, and I truly hope the dull pressure/pain has gone away!

Take Care,

Elizabeth

• Posted

++sorry for the duplicated response, i responded in the wrong spot earlier++

Hi Glenn -

I wanted to check in and see how you're feeling now? I posted a couple weeks ago, as I am having very similar symptoms but they are on my left side vs. right side. Like with you, it feels like a dull pressure, as if someone is pressing their finger on the top of my head. This pressure seems to go through to the roof of my mouth, even upper teeth - and it's not painful, just a slight pulsating/throbbing feeling. I recently had my eyes checked, my ears checked, went to my GP for this issue and she felt it was anxiety/tension headaches. I had bloodwork done, and everything came back within range. Can I ask what your B level was? Mine was 409, and while on the lower end of the range it was still 'normal' . I don't eat any animal products but do take supplements.

Anyway, in addition to this odd feeling in my head I also get 'jittery brain' where it feels like someone injected caffeine into my brain. I do think this is probably anxiety related, though but curious if you experienced the same? I feel like it also makes my eyes jittery - I have trouble focusing (and concentrating!) I also have a slight ringing in my ears. It seems very faint and honestly sometimes I think I'm imagining it. My dull head pain is pretty consistent, although it has gone away for hours at a time which is amazing.

A few things that I wanted to share - not sure if they'll be helpful but just in case... I went to a chiropractor who said I had a disc out in my neck (on the left side) so I've been going for regular visits.

I sit at a PC all day for work, and when I'm not working I'm staring at my phone so I am sure I have 'text neck' so I've been doing some exercises found online to help with this.

I also found a good online article from round earth publishing that talked about referred pain from areas in the neck/shoulders/jaw (do you grind or clench your jaw? This could be a culprit of dull pain in the head)

I went for a massage and that got rid of the dull ache for a short while - but it came back 😦 However, I am going to be better about getting these more frequently when I can.

I am also in CBT therapy, although I just started. My doc also prescribed me Lexapro which I was very hesitant about taking, but finally sucked it up and started taking .5mg per day. It's been a few days, so not sure if it's going to work but if it helps with some of the anxious feelings, I'll take it for a while!

Please let me know how you're doing, and I truly hope the dull pressure/pain has gone away!

Take Care,

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.