Dull, hunger like pains in upper abdomen

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the past few months or more, I’ve experienced a dull, hunger type pain in my upper abdomen between my breastbone and belly button. This pain is relieved by eating. Thinking it may be an ulcer, I took the OTC 14 day Omerprazole treatment to no avail. Then, a few week ago, I noticed my stool was almost solid black and tarry like. This only lasted a day or two but prompted a doctor’s visit. I’ve been having frequent loose stools as well especially in the afternoons. I described all of this to my doctor and he believes it to be an ulcer. He prescribed me Protonix. I’ve been on this for 2 weeks and nothing has changed. Last night I developed pain in my mid to upper back area but beneath the shoulder blades. This pain is still there this morning. I’m not sure if this all of is related but do any of you have any thoughts? Thanks, John   

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello John

I've just stopped Omeprazole due to horrendous diarrhoea which was a very dark green so not sure what that was about. I'm getting stomach pains in a similar area. I know I've got moderate gastritis and intestinal metaplasia but my symptoms are new to me.

• Posted

Sorry john that posted without me pressing the post button! Has your GP done bloods to check liver and pancreas ok? I would push for bloods if not and an endoscopy. Hope you sort this out quickly.

Deb

• Posted

I had bloodwork done over a year ago and everything checked out ok then. I was told to come back in a month for a followup. The Dr. said if the symptoms have not improved by then, he would order up an endoscopy. 
    • Posted

I know, only from working with medics that bloods can change week by week so I think a year ago might be too long. Wait a month seems to be the standard request from GPS. Maybe this is what is in the NICE guidelines. But by the time the referral is made = 2 weeks then another I don't know how long until the appointment comes through.,,,

• Posted

I had a followup visit with Doc last week. Ulcer symptoms still present after being on Protonix for a month. Had some blood work done (CBC w/diff, complete lipid panel, complete Metabolic Panel, Urine Analysis). Everything checked out normal except for elevated cholesterol and slightly elevated Potassium levels. Doctor told me to start excercising, lose some weight, reduce salt intake and come back in 6 months to recheck cholesterol. I have gained a few pounds since my last visit a month ago. I believe it is because I am eating more frequently to ease the hunger pains caused by the ulcer (or what he thinks it is). He didnt seem too concerned about the borderline high potassium levels but will check again in 6 months. Told me to continue with the Protonix for two more months to help with the potential ulcer and if still not better, to come back for an additional followup.
    • Posted

Hi deb42962deb1960 .... I also got 2 small ulcers , moderate gastritis and intestinal metaplasia ... I am worried about intestinal metaplasia because it is pre-cancerous.. What did you doctor say about it?? Please let me know
  • Posted

Hi John please keep us updated I have same symptoms and had endoscopy done which showed gerd and grade 1 antral gastritis and got nothing prescribed to me. They said take Prilosec and eat better. Had colonoscopy done and only found proctitis and sent me on my way and told me there is nothing else they can check for me. My liver enzymes were a little elevated but obviously nothing too serious bc they didn't seem to care.

• Posted

Hi Lea! I was diagnosed with antral gastritis and duodenitis. I have been struggling with the permanent hunger pains for almost a year and nothing seems to be helping a lot. How do you feel? Did your gastritis heal? Or maybe you feel better? I would really appreciate if you could answer because I feel very lonely and desperate sad 
  • Posted

Hi John. I have had a sharp constant pain under my breastbone central in my upper abdomen for 9 months. It feels like a constant hunger cramp so I find myself snacking 24/7 and taking baths to relieve the pressure. Anyways, I have been seeing a GI for 4 months. I have had the following procedures: upper endoscopy, food allergy test, Celiac bioposy tested, Celiac blood tests, glucose blood tests, cholesterol test, abdominal ultrasound, h pylori,  hida scan, gallbladder blood tests, and been peregrines various acid medication which did not help. Have you discovered what this is!?? My doctors keep telling me to check back in a month. It's gotten to the point where I get nauseous thinking about it and it then quickly attacks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.