Dull lingering ache after chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi does anyone else get a lingering dull ache after an angina attack? I have microvascular angina. Sometimes for hours/days after chest pain, I will have an achy feeling around my heart. It kind of feels like my heart or at least a muscle is strained or overworked. I mentioned it to a couple of doctors and they have been very dismissive about it. One even said at A&E you can't feel pain from your heart. I then thought then what is angina pain then?

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this dull lingering ache is a different kind of problem from my angina. Maybe even inflammation or something.

My blood pressure or high pulse rate can trigger an angina attack. I'm going back to work on Monday after nearly a year off. I'm a bit anxious I won't cope. I spoke to Cardiologist about working and doctors, they all say I will be fine. This baffles me because up to now I haven't been fine and I am triggered by minimal exertion, stress amongst other things. So, in doctors minds medication can control angina to a large extent so long term prognosis is good. Yet I haven't been stable and usually 5 days out if 7 I have chest pain.

I ended up in A&E on Wednesday. Just wondered if I am setting myself up for a fall if I return to work too early?

Thanks for any help x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi gracey,

I have been told pretty well much the same thing by ED doctors, well a small amount of them, they just don't understand the complicated types of angina, to them if it doesn't show up on an ECG there's nothing wrong with your heart, that's the feed back I am getting back by some of these ED doctors as well. This week alone I have been into our emergency department 3 times, first time everything checked out, only spasms, sent home in pain, very next day I was back in there with the same thing but this time the paramedics picked up some abnormalities on the way in and gave me pain relief, I was asked if I had ever been told or diagnosed with an  irregular heartbeat or arrythmias, I have never been told that I suffer from either, he showed me the ECG and explained to me what he had captured and what was the possible cause, even though it wasn't life threatening or even of concern he said due to my coronary artery spasms it needed investigating. I asked the attending doctor about the 3 abnormal  ECG's that were recorded and captured, he said what ECG's ,, I don't know anything about them eek, by the time they got to do their own ECG on me the attacks had stopped, I was having huge flip flop attacks and the pain got worse when the flip flop feeling stopped briefly before starting again. I swear at times I can feel my coronary arteries spasm at times.

There is only one way to take the first day and having a very understanding boss would be fantastic, is to take it slowly, at your pace not theirs, it may not feel like it for awhile but if you can return to work it is doing you more good than harm. Stress also brings on angina attacks so the thought of going back to work is enough to make you feel anxious and may well cause a minor angina attack, nip it in the bud quickly with the GTN spray or little tablet under the tongue might just be enough to ward it off for the day.

• Posted

Ohhh and sometimes but not all the time for me I will get a lingering ache if I haven't been given any pain relief, mine only usually lasts  a few more hours after the attack, sometimes a day but will start again the next day.

• Posted

Wow so not going mad..... thank you! Like you it restarts the next day to. It seems to me that some doctors stick to very rigid facts about angina and if you fall out that box, you are the deluded one.

My boss isn't very understanding and has said she doesn't believe I can cope in my role. Because the emotional and physical demands may trigger pain. So I will be watched closely believe me. But I will follow your advice and hope I can nip things in the bud with my spray.

Hope you don't have too many more problems and visits to A&E. Take care and thanks for your help x

• Posted

Yes you can get an aching in the bones or just the chest. Because it has been stressed at least I have not so much on mild pain. And I have had pain when my blood pressure went up. I don't know how you will manage at work it will be very stressful and anxiety will sit in I already have anxiety that has been made worse by this angina. A friend of mine was very stressed when he had to take nitroglycerin while standing up because he worked in retail and when you are facing a customer he would have to say excuse me while I take nitroglycerin or have a mild heart attack being a little sarcastic he finally had to quit and go on SSI but he wind up having heart disease and having 5 stents and a bypass. But still we that have prinzmetal's or microvascular pain have it just as much if not worse because there is no cure. I am so sorry that you have to go back to work try to get disability or SSI as this is a lifelong condition it doesn't go away that's what my cardiologists told me and I've had it for 5 years. Please take care if you have something for anxiety take it it will help relax your spasms and your mind and body I had it so severely I couldn't sleep I would take nine nitroglycerins a day and all the heart medicine. Let me know how you get along all my blessings and hugs and love to you. We that share this disease I have to stick together because it is so horrible and we need to talk to each . love Diana ?💚💜😘🐸 I love cartoon frogs

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Like you when my blood pressure goes high my pain starts. I also have a very high pulse rate at times. Not sure if I suffer with anxiety, but when the pain kicks in it is such a worry hard to remain calm. Yes also when I feel like this I have to sit or lay down. I just have to try to get back to work and see how it goes. Maybe I will eventually find something more suitable for me to do. My current job is emotionally and physically demanding. But I will go part time and see how I get on. Take care anf thanks again x
  • Posted

Yes, I get the aching feeling after an attack too. It can last for a good 24h, and can leave me feeling really tired the next day. I've found coming off caffeine and ibuprofen has been hugely beneficial, far fewer attacks. 

I was was diagnosed with MVA/ coronary vasospasm about a year ago, and still go to work. I have a really good employer, which is of course is very important, I'm open with them about what's going on for me, and they really support me. You can do this Gracey, give it a go! 

• Posted

Hi Laura

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm starting work tomorrow (hopefully) so long as I am well enough. I'm going to give it a whirl and hope and pray that my employers end up as supportive as yours!

By the way are you able to work full time, and are you office based? I probably will go part time as my job is a lot of driving, walking and standing. It has a lot of emotional and physical demands and I'm only in the office approximately 5% of the time. But I will try my best and just see how it goes.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Gracey

yes I am full time, and spend about 50% of my time in the office, the rest of the time , beetling around 😀 Or on the road and also commute 2-3 hours a day on top of a 40-50h working week.

I wish you all the very best, I'll be thinking of you, take it one day at a time. You'll need to build up slowly, they should put you on phased return, as you've been out for a while . 

Take care Hun 😉

• Posted

Well you have certainly given me hope. I am on a phased return for minimum of 4 weeks so should help.

Thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.