Dull pain under rear rib cage?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just reading some posts about acid reflux. I've been taking lanzaprozol daily for years but not sure if it's like the meds discussed on here as being possibly detrimental in other ways? Also, I'm told I have a small hiatus hernia, but left that well alone. I am seeing a consultant mid February to be assessed for bronchiectasis as my lung x-ray indicates the possibility. Also I do get breathless and have a cough.

I'd like to know if anyone has a dull pain under the rear rib cage? That's what sent me to the doc originally. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Estelle,

I don’t suffer much at all with the acid reflux but, yes, when I’m about to get another infection one of the early signs for me is a pain in my back between my shoulder blades and lower. All the coughing doesn’t help, but it does ease when the infection clears up.

• Posted

Thank you; apart from breathlessness, I do wheeze a bit, even when lying in bed. Trouble is, I am also enlarged on the left side of my body. Abdomen, under arms, slightly on my upper leg areas. The docs ignore it. I suspect it's lipoedima or lymphatic drainage related, neither of which can be helped much! I am watch out for an infection as I have had severe ones in the past. Historically, I fit the picture having had measles and whooping cough. And I think, scarlet fever too. 

• Posted

Hi Estelle, I concur with everything Dancing Queen said. In addition to getting the pain in my back, I also get it in the front. It catches my breathing and I need to take pain killers in order to do my huff coughing. Pain disappears when chest infection clears. One thing to add.....during October, I got the pain again (didn't feel unwell though and did some postural drainage). Pain cleared in 3 days and I was fine again. Infection didn't appear until early Dec. Hope thid helps. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Estelle

I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis in Sep this year after months of coughing and chest infection. I was diagnosed also with gastric reflux early in the year and am lansoprazole once or twice a day.

I had lower right lung pain in October and I thought it maybe gall stones or a torn muscle with coughing. It was so bad I couldn’t breath and went to casualty  where they admitted me overnight. ( my bronchiectasis is in the left lower lung)

The diagnosis was a torn muscle due to coughing so much . Took a couple of weeks to go and now I don’t panic too much when I have the pain each time I have an infection, which is once a month for me so far this year!!!

Just love the two weeks a month when I feel well. Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.