Duloxetine after various anti depressants.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone, I am about to start duloxetine after taking sertraline, Prozac, venlafaxine and piling on weight. Only Venlafaxine worked for me with the depression and anxiety but the side effects (palpitations, high blood pressure, racing heart rate and sweats to name a few!) weren't worth it....any info you can offer on duloxetine would be gratefully received, particularly re weight gain. At 42, having suffered from depression and anxiety most of my adult life, I am desperate to find something that works for me without making me fat! Given my depression manifests itself in eating disorders, gaining weight has not been good! Thank you and hello again x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacquelyn

I have been taking duloxetine for about 18 months now and it literally saved my life , I too suffer from anxiety disorder panic attacks and social phobia ,I was put on catalapram to begin with but they made me suicidal, then changed to mirtazapine which made me feel so much better but increased my appetite and made me gain 3 stone ,stayed on them till stable enough to try something new these being duloxetine managed to loose 2 stone just one to go to get back to normal but I seem to have started gaining a little again some people gain with them and some don't let's hope you are in the latter lovely to talk to someone in the same boat , hugs mags x

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, that's so good to hear. It's such a minefield and whilst feeling 'good' is important, fir me, weight is such an important issue anti depressants have been a double edged sword. Social anxiety is such a huge part of my problem too, do good to know you ate the alone in your 'issues' thanks again and I'll keep posting, hugs back at you, Jac xxx
    • Posted

Hi magnolias,

I've just had my first night of duloxetine after taking mirtazapine and I think it may have been a mistake! Like you, I've been on citalopram 1st and then I was on sertraline and they both made me suicidal, but mirtazapine was really good and worked for me as it helped me sleep. I've been up all night after taking duloxetine and feel awful, did you have a similar problem? What pros/cons did you have for both?

Would love to hear from you, thanks, Andrew.

• Posted

Hi Andrew

Magnolias here ,sorry but I've only just seen your message ,I don't sleep to well on duloxatine but they work really well for my depression and anxiety so I will be sticking with it for now I am always very tired through the day with them as wellI think everyone is different and you just have to give them time hope you are feeling a little better now ,let me know how you are getting on and if you get the evening munchies on them like a lot of us do. Hugs magnolias

• Posted

Hi Andrew I have just come across your post I'm am coming off mirtazipine and going to start duloxetine in a days time .Did you stick with it if so how are you feeling ? I'm very worried to start thank you for you time 😊
  • Posted

Hi Jacquelyn,

I'm currently on Duloxetine and have been on it for about 2 years and slowly now weaning myself off! I've not had weight gain from it so that's a plus but it did return me to a good eating habit! When I'm depressed I don't want to eat much hence I lose weight which is probably the opposite of you I suppose. It did and has helped me get out of the very dark place I was in but I know from experience it's not for life! It's extremely difficult getting off it though so just be aware...I'm tapering very slowly to see if I can be free of this antidepressant as the withdrawal side effects can be extremely awful for me. Key also is exercise, a good support group and someone who actually listens without getting paid for it. Hang in there - it's an awful life being depressed and good luck! Let me know if you have any questions...I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

• Posted

Oh thank you for replying, I tend to comfort eat and have found that I've gone from a pre medication exercise addict to being very sedentary which hadn't helped! I'm just getting back into exercise slowly but having to force myself! So great to 'talk' to others on the same boat so thanks again and hoping I'll post again and aim to keep in touch with like minded people, we'll get there but I guess it will always be part of our lives, you either are or are not inclined to suffer as we do and have to do what we can to overcome it as best we can? Hugs xxxxx Jac xx
  • Posted

My wife has been taking Escitalopram 20 mg for the last 2 years and gained too much weight. The doctor prescribed her duloxetin 600 mg. She took 1st pil in the morning today. Just an hour before she was like paranoid. Now she is ok but she has decided she will never take it again.

I had been using ESCITALOPRAM for about 8 years. My depression was well controlled but I gained weight. Also there was sexual disfunction .so my doctor prescribed to me Wellbutrin 300 mg. I'm now ok and have very less depression but it took 3 years for me to recover. I'm no more overweight and don't have sexual disfunctioning.

Anyway, the same antidepressant may have different effect on different people. If you decide to start taking Duloxetin, I would suggest you to start with 30 mg instead of 60 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.