Duloxetine Brain zaps (not coming off or reducing dose!)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I’m new to this website but wanted to see if anyone else taking Duloxetine had experienced brain zaps when still on it. I’ve heard of people getting them while coming off the meds but not while on them. I’m only on 60mg, have been for 4months now, psychiatrist wanted to bring me to 90mg per day but I’ve felt good on 60mg duloxetine for GAD so declined for now. I had terrible brain zaps when coming off Sertaline back in October (was on 200mg for over 10yrs) but suddenly I am getting them now, a few times a day on duloxetine, they started about 2 weeks ago but it’s worrying me. Surely I shouldn’t be getting them, never missed a dose since starting duloxetine 4 months ago! 

Got GP appointment on 21st Feb but thought I’d see if anyone else had had these while on the medication too!?

Thanks in advance!

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , strangely enough I am getting this exact same problem, I came off maximum dose of Escitalopram onto duloxetine 60mg I have been on it for nearly a year. I get these weird brain zaps when I move my eyes left or right or both, it makes me incredibly dizzy for a split second and I feel a small electric shock in my head. Now I understand if I had been withdrawing from it but I take my dose everyday as normal yet I get this multiple times a day where its almost paralysing because it sends me into anxiety. My doctor seems to think that previous medications that I came off may still be re balancing, but he can't be too sure, he has told me that coming on and off different medications takes a long time but I've been on medications for 5+ years now tried all of them and never had this problem till about a year ago starting duloxetine....strange right. Well I'm gonna keep investigating this and talking to my doctor see if we can't figure this out. I just wanted to say your not alone on that, I didn't think anyone else dealt with this until I came across the post. Hope things get better for you, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.