Duloxetine (Cymbalta) withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I'm currently withdrawing from Duloxetine (Cymbalta) as I've been on it a few months to treat panic attacks and anxiety but it's not been helpful, hence the withdrawal. I've been on 60mg a while and now decreasing down to 30mg before starting a new med.

Basically, I'm fortunate not to have too many side-effects, (unlike Venlafaxine which was hell!) yet the main thing bothering me is that I have a very upset stomach. I seem to have pain and needing to rush to the bathroom after every time I eat, and often most other times too.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

Thank you smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

This is a common side-effect with this medication.

I hope you're going to the doctor to get another one prescribed.

Good luck.

Tess

• Posted

Hello! Thanks for your support. Still feeling awful- supposed to be starting the Citalophram tonight.. I am hoping that will ease these side effects from the Duloxetine. I'm worried my dr has asked me to withdraw too quick (1.5wk).. Does this sound quick to you? Or perhaps it's because I'm starting a medication straight after? X

• Posted

It's okay, Harriet - stopping one fairly quickly is fine if you have another medication to start straight after.

Citalopram suits most people and I do hope you get better results from it. Doesn't sound like it could be worse than duloxetine, anyway lol.

Let us know how you get on. There is no particular anti-depressant which works better than the others - it's a question of the patient's idiosyncrasy.

I took paroxetine (years ago) and felt awful.

It was changed to mirtazapine and I got better, and eventually did not need them.

During the last year, I got depressed again and started sertaline, which has been excellent. Just about ready to talk to my doctor regarding tapering off them.

So there IS hope!

Love Tess xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Tess

Thanks for your lovely message. I'm laying in bed trying not to worry the world away, so thank you for your reassurance! I was really concerned when I read a lot of people taking weeks to withdrawal, but anyway like you say, it's always different for each person.

So I've just taken my first dose of Citalophram; (I was actually on it for 5 years about a year or so ago, and in hindsight wished I'd never changed, as it helped me most out of all I've tried.) So really hoping to ease back into it soon, and that the Duloxetine side effects will subside.

I'm sorry to hear you had to get back on medicine- although I've heard really great things about sertraline. I hope all goes well with the tapering off, and that you're back to yourself soon smile happy to chat anytime

Harriet xxx

• Posted

I hope you get better medication, i to went through hell with that evil fluoxitine, it was awful, i was disturbed for two weeks after stopping it, i am now on mirtazipine, and apparantly these dont upset the systym like fluoxitine, i am feeling better, and sleeping well on them, get new meds and hopefully like me you will get much better, good luck.
    • Posted

Hello!

Thanks for your message. I'm pleased you are feeling better now! That sounds so odd since I read the half life of Duloxetine is quite short? I assumed once it had passed your system the side effects would subside? I'm having awful upset tummy and cramps at the moment. I only have one day left until I start my new medication so I'm hoping it goes away otherwise I will have to find something to help.

• Posted

thanks for the reply, i hope it works out good for you, i was a bit shaky today again, but now this evening i am not to bad, thank god, i pray every day,hoping god will heal my illness, and i pray you all get well, we deserve to be as well as anyone else, thankyou.
    • Posted

Indeed we do. I'm pleased to hear it- hang in there and I hope you continue to get better. Sending you well wishes!

• Posted

The half-life of duloxetine IS quite short, but it can still cause the upset tummy and cramps (which are also signs of anxiety, and which are probably not helping.)

If you continue you to have cramps and diarrhoea there may be another reason for that which has nothing to do with duloxetine. If this continues to happen once you start the citalopram, you should discuss it with your doctor, honey.

Love Tess xxx

• Posted

Tess You're a superstar!

In all honesty, and trying to take the good out of my situation, I was just pleased that my symptoms are seemingly physical more than mental (for now...touch wood!). But yes, thank you so much again for your advice- I will see how I go over the next few days.

Harriet xxxx

• Posted

Hello harriet

Has your GP agreed for you to stop taking your Medication?

You will need to wean yourself of your medication and that may take some time because you will need to reduce then cut the dose to get it out of your system.

My medications cause my tummy some upset every now and then, although your concern may be caused by something else. See your GP if it does not clear.

BOB

• Posted

Hi there!

Thank you for your message.Yes I told my gp I wanted to change as after a few months feel Duloxetine doesn't help me. I've been on 60mg for a few months, I was told to cut down by 60mg/30mg alternating for a week, then 30mg for 2-3 days before starting the new meds. I am on day 2 of 30mg and wondering wether to start the new one this evening. It sounds to me as if some people reduce much more slowly.. Or maybe mine is quicker as I'm moving onto another med? I've had the stomach upset for the last 2 or 3 days but am putting it down to being on the lower dose and hoping it will subside... How long did you feel the same? Thanks! Harriet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.