Duloxetine withdrawl

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of coming off Duloxetine when only having been on it a short time?

I was on 30mg for a month, 40mg for a month and 60mg for 2 weeks. During the 60mg period I experienced feeling out of my body. This really scared me so I want to get off the drug completely.

I have reduced to 30mg for one week and now am doing the next week on 30mg every other day. I am feeling extremely nauseas, edgy and light headed and a little out of my body although nothing like what I was on 60mg.

I was going to completely come off next week and my question is is this too quick even though I've only been on Duloxetine for 10 weeks in total? My Dr suggested 2 weeks 30mg and 2 weeks every other day but I am going away and I wanted to get the worst of the side effects out of the way before this as I was put on Duloxetine for anxiety and depression and I think the side effects will seem less scary in my own home where I feel 'safe'.

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Can someone please help me? I'm experiencing bad nausea, dizziness, depersonalisation.

• Posted

And are you on Facebook?

There is a group on there which focuses on Duloxetine and has lots of really useful advice and support and information about coming off it. If you search on Cymbalta (?).

The alternate day method is not recommended due to the half life of the medication!

Good luck 🍀

• Posted

I can't take credit for this, but it is easier to copy and paste the info

The frequency of Cymbalta withdrawal is associated with a drug’s “half-life.” The term “half-life” means the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to be eliminated from the body after one stops taking it. In his book, The Antidepressant Solution, Dr. Joseph Glenmullen, a clinical instructor in psychiatry at Harvard, explains that “the frequency with which antidepressants cause withdrawal reactions correlates with how short their half-lives are.” When a drug has a short half-life, the drug begins to exit the patients system very quickly, and that sudden depletion of the drug in the patient’s body, leads to withdrawal. Conversely, drugs that have a long half-life, leave the body gradually and generally have less frequent and severe withdrawal effects.

• Posted

If you google it, there is lots of info on it.

Best advice, is to speak to your Doctor about it and come up with a plan to come off it slowly x

• Posted

Thanks Shaz, much appreciated. I've gone back on 30mg every day and and will go back to the Dr, I don't think he knew anything about this drug when he gave me the every other day advice. I've come off many antidepressants and never experienced anything like this. It really helped to hear from someone.

• Posted

Still looking for any advice on this matter. I have looked on the net and still can't find a definitive answer to how long these side effects will last after only taking Duloxetine for a couple of months. I am on my 4th day without the drug and it feels like weeks. Extreme nausea, dizziness, feeling out of my body. My GP said I would feel better in a few days but clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. My main worry is that I have to get on a plane in 3 days and the thought of that feeling like this is awful.

I'm thinking of cancelling my holiday, I really don't want to because I will lose my money but I don't want to be like this in a foreign country. Does anyone have any idea if these symptoms will subside when I have not taken any for a week? It's clearly pointless asking my GP. I'm going out of my mind.

• Posted

This is hell. Have ended up in A&E from this and they were clueless. Why is this still being prescribed if there was a lawsuit? What was the outcome of it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.