Dumping syndrome

Posted , 1 user is following.

7 weeks post gallbladder removal, on a low fat +watching FODMAP food. This has helped heaps but occasionally when I'm really active and drink heaps food just goes in and out in mins-hrs.

Can you be tested for dumping syndrome? Can it fix itself. What should I do to stop it?

I ate steamed fish and a potato and had the worst stomach pains and 3 time running to the toilet. Heading for a Dr appointment tomorrow to address it and back pain.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Stef,  just do as you've been doing, stick to several small meals a day....for some people after gallbladder surgery bile drips constantly into their small intestine.  When you eat large meals, the production speeds up, and you have the effect you're describing.  Good luck!

• Posted

I'm no expert, but my understanding of bile production by the liver after gallbladder removal is slightly different.

From what I read so far online, after the gallbladder is removed, the liver has no storage for bile, so it trickles bile into the intestine constantly. When the bile eventually pools in the lower intestine, it stimulates water secretion from the intestinal walls, thus causing water to pool and eventually secreted to the colon and causes diarrhea.

In my personal experience, I think it is also due to foods passing through the digestive tract too quickly as a consequence of not having the gallbladder (probably some biochemical reaction in the guts due to the trickling bile coating the intestinal walls).

The reason why I say that is because I noticed that when I eat foods that tend to take longer to digest, like grilled chicken and spaghetti (supplemental iron in the pasta makes it harder to pass through the guts), my diarrhea symptoms decrease somewhat.

However, there seems to be a huge variety of food reactions by people with gallbladder removal, so presumably this type of food reaction is different to others. Just my theory that may or may not work for others. Good luck.

• Posted

My case is worse off than your situation. I had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago and from day one till now I have been having diarrhea. Makes no difference what I eat, just that certain foods worsen the symptom while some other foods seem to reduce the symptom somewhat.

Been on ultra low fat diet ever since the surgery, but it makes no difference as I still end up with diarrhea daily. Oddly, high fiber foods seem to worsen the symptom, so I've been avoiding high fiber foods.

What seems to help somewhat is grilled chicken and spaghetti, so that's been my staple for a couple of weeks now.

I tried enzymes, probiotics, and fiber supplements to no avail. I figure to keep trying to discover what foods are agreeable and what are not, and so far chicken and spaghetti seem to have decent effect on reducing the symptom somewhat.

Coffee is my worst enemy now, and so is milk, soy milk, followed closely by barley and flax seed.

Only after I've exhausted my own natural food solution, I'll probably look into trying a prescription drug to alleviate chronic diarrhea. 

Perhaps you might want to ask your doctor about Welchol and Questran as I read on blogs that for some people they're effective. Good luck.

• Posted

Back pain wasn't back pain but inflammation around my heart from over doing it after surgery. High sugar food/drink even if natural cause upset and D and dame with high fats. Keeping to a low FODMAP diet and not drinking an hr either side of food has helped heaps. Please try

• Posted

I've been avoiding any sweet drinks and foods since surgery. Same with fatty or greasy foods, I've been totally avoiding them.

However, this thing about not drinking water an hour before or after food ingestion is something new to me. I'll keep it in mind for the next few days and try it out, especially since I tend to drink a full glass of water during any meal. Thanks, if this helps me, wow, I'll be shocked but pleasantly shocked.

• Posted

If you don't drink with it it slows down the digestion process.

• Posted

So, what was the advice from your doctor regarding your system's reaction to fish and potato?

• Posted

So, what was the advice from your doctor regarding your system's reaction to fish and potato?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.