Duodenitis, heartburn, seems to cause anxiety, thoughts?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, new here.  Short version: a CT scan showed I have duodenitis, and I have daily discomfort and I'm still figuring out how to manage it.

I've been sick since late December, initially with some abdominal discomfort, moderate fever, mouth ulcers, inflamed gums, cold sore -- the fever lasted 4 1/2 days, mostly at night, and it was difficult to eat solid food for a week.  Now a few weeks later all of the issues have resolved except abdominal issues.  I have been having pain in the upper left hand side of my abdomen, usually at night, off and on since about December 27th or 28th, intially only a little noticeable at night.

I had a CT scan revealing duodenitis, and perhaps some stomach distention.  I've been put on pepcid twice a day, and have eliminated a lot of possible triggers from my diet.  My most severe symptoms have not returned the last couple of weeks, but I have cramping, heartburn, indigestion, burning/throbbing in the throat, sometimes feeling cold or feeling flush in the face, some gas, etc, off and on since starting pepcid.  I actually feel like the heartburn is worse since starting pepcid, but the duodenal pain seems to have improved. I'm waiting to hear back on an H. Pylori test, most of my blood tests look normal, and my CT scan showed most of my other organs looked normal.

This has been exhausting already, and at this point I'm hoping I test positive for something or have a diagnosis I can do something about.  My doctor is still optimistic, and thinks that as long as I limit my diet and take care of myself, this may yet resolve itself (she said it may take three more months to heal).  Do these symptoms sound like a more specific diagnosis?  Any tips for managing it?

Thank you!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are reacting to Pepcid.  Ask your doctor for a different medication.
    • Posted

Okay, I'll ask about that.  I'm a little reluctant to switch to a PPI just from the side effects and issues I've heard about, but that may be what I need.

I'd also been suggested Mylanta with gas relief, but that seemed to make me feel worse sometimes as well (at least it didn't give me any relief).  It seems like some of the regular advice for GERD-type symptoms is different from issues with duodenitis, for one I do better when I am not on an empty stomach, so I'm still trying to figure out how to manage not overeating but not eating too little either while on my bland diet.

• Posted

PPIs are usually fine as long as they are taken for short periods.  I was put on Omeprazole for acid reflux and they worked without causing trouble and I had them for a short time only. Try eating smaller portions but more often.  If you are still struggling with this, ask to see a dietician who should be able to advise you on a diet plan.
    • Posted

Thanks -- I've been pretty good about small meals and snacking, I think I'm doing a little better this week than last.  One day at a time.

• Posted

Hi TravelerSix

HPylori tends to occupy the gut and duodenum....hence duodenitis....and cause all the symptoms you describe..wait for the HP test result and if you get a +ve result you will be treated with antibiotics......best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you, I'm hoping for something along those lines that can more easily be treated.

• Posted

I had HP and had some of those symptoms. Deffinately a lot of anxiety, bowel issues, night sweats, insomnia, fatigue, abdominal pain, etc... Our gut actually has more neurotransmitters then our brain so it makes sense that imbalances their could lead to psycological issues. Most symtopms cleared up completely with a 28 day tripple therapy but two years later and I am still having upper left quadrant pain!

I've had multiple blood tests, stool test an endoscopy, ultrasounds, and an abdominal MRI... Thinking of doing the CT scan though as my pain is not clearing up despite gentle diet n being very good to myself! Hope you find some relief soon!

• Posted

I also ened up taking the ppi for about a year and did not have any adverse side effects... I felt a little bloated while taking it but that seemed to clear up right away when I stopped. Might be ok to take it for a while if it gives you some relief. 

Other then that eating organic, whole foods and eliminating sugar, wheat, chemical aditives etc has helped a lot. Unfortunately I have not been able to get all the way better yet! Hopefully you will have more luck!

• Posted

I'm still waiting for test results.  I think I have the diet working okay, it's just frustrating that it is so bland (until I got sick, I ate tons of spicy foods, especially the last 15 years or so).  I hope that you find a better resolution, it does not sound good.

My issue the last week has been a burning feeling on the outside of my neck, then burning under my ears, and today up on the sides of my head.  I'm not sure if this is tied to the gut issues or a reaction to pepcid or something else, but it's a learning experience I guess.

• Posted

If you are finding the diet too bland, ask to see a dietician and ask for a more varied diet plan that will still suit your stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.