dupuytrens

Posted , 3 users are following.

I developed Dupuytrens Contracture about 14 years ago in my left hand following a injury. Over a period of time it grew more severe resulting in an operation 3 years ago to remove the duputrens. The operation was done under a local anasthetic and was extremely unconforable but the out come was a success. Shortly afterwards the condition started in my right hand - slowly at first but then growing very quickly until I had very little use of my ring and little finger. My hand was like a claw. The swelling also form deep creases in my hand. which was prone to fungal infections, and I was refered back to the hospital. My right hand was operated on in July 07 - this time under a general anasthetic. I suffered no pain and hardly any discomforture and the stitches, all 36 of them, were removed after 2 weeks. It is now 3 months since the opp and my hand is almost back to normal. I work on it nearly every day and massage with 'dog oil'

Incidently my father suffered from the same condition but never had it treated

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Could you please tell me where you had your local done .I wish to have it done that way next time. Thanks Brandon
  • Posted

very happy to hear the words about dc. can you pl. suggest me where i will be dog oil. so that i too can use the same. I do not know whether it is available in india.[b:99fa04897f][/b:99fa04897f]
  • Posted

Hi Rod

where did you have the op

mike

• Posted

Dupuytrens developed over 5 years in both hands, last year I could not work properly as I am a maintenance engineer. The three fingers on my right hand were nearly closed, and on my left hand my little finger was firmly closed and the next finger half closed.I went to my doctor,who knew all about Duputrens,and refered me to a consultant at Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham. The consultant operated on my right hand in February 2009, the op was under general anesthetic.The differance is incredable I now have full use of my hand.

I went for an operation on my left hand in July 2009 the result is posative, my fingers are straight but I have occasional tingleing in my little finger, but both hands are now very mobile, which allows me to carry on working ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.