During blood draw, the lab technician used dirty gloves. Can I get infected?

Posted , 3 users are following.

The lab technician had red stains resembling blood on her gloves. She put the belt around my biceps inserted the needle in my vein and gave me cotton ball with alcohol later (on top of the insertion spot) I am really scared that she might be reusing the gloves from other patients (they do fingersticks as well). I am pretty sure I saw the stains before she took my blood. I am really panicking now and I would really like to know what's the chance of getting some blood-borne disease?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Go back to the place your blood was taken and speak to the Practice Manager or Senior person in charge.

Tell them what you saw and your feelings, if you don't get satisfaction tell them you are going to report them to a higher authority. Not every medical work place changes gloves after treating someone but they should be changed when blood has been spilled.

John

• Posted

Thank you! Yes, I've reported them! I live in third world country and they have sloppy techniques. Do you think there is any chance I got something?

• Posted

Hi Joanna

Before you get all worked up, go back into your mind and go through the procedure and slowly see how she did it. was the needle in a sealed package, as long as the needle had no contact with anything other than air you should be alright, but seek further medical advice.

John

• Posted

Hey John,

Thanks for providing some relief. Yes, the needle was in a package and there was plastic cap that the technician removed first. So the needle did not come in contact with anything else. She did not even cleanse the insertion spot before. But I am not sure if she touched the insertion spot beforehand with her gloves or not. She touched the cotton ball after drawing blood at put it in the insertion spot. Do you think both of these things can be a problem?

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Joanna

No i don't think you should have a problem, but remember what i said if you have any fears or doubts seek further advice.

The procedure seamed straight forward apart from the gloves, when i was a Medic we used gloves but as soon as they got dirty they were changed.

The next time you go for treatment of any type just say could you change your gloves in front of me please, we did to give our patients confidence and to show them we had discipline as a Medic.

John

• Posted

Hey John,

Thanks for providing some relief. Sure, I would ask a doctor, but I do not trust doctors in my country much. I would do hepatitis b,c and HIV test after 6 months or during my annual checkup. Thank you.

Regards,

Joanna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.