During Cyst removal will they investigate other things?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a 5cm dermoid on my right ovary and although i'm 99% sure it's that that causes daily period pain/dullness/feeling low most days, I also have thisnagging feeling that it might be something else.

Originally I thought maybe appendix/gallstones etc due to the doctors telling me over and over the dermoid was a 'red herring', that sort of talk gets into your brain!

What happens during a laparoscopy? Do they just go in the right side, remove the cyst and that's that or do they look around at other things in that area?

I'd love to hear any feedback.

TIA

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my case the surgeon made four small holes, one through the belly button one each side and one in the middle of lower abdomen. The belly button one is to insert a light and some gas to blow up things so they can see what's happening in there. So... yes they do have a look round and check for other problems before the cyst is removed. A biopsy will be done to check for any malignancies and you will receive a histolgy report later with results. Hope this helps. rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you yes it does smile

Hope you have recovered well by now x

• Posted

Thanks, yes I have recovered from the Salpingo oophrectomy and cyst removal. Histology report said all was normal, nothing sinister so was pleased about that of course. lol Hope all goes well for you too. x rolleyes

• Posted

PS, I'm in my 70's and asked to have my ovaries removed as I don't want to keep getting cysts. xrolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.