durogesic fentanyl patches

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi , I've been on these durogesic patches for 6years , and to be honest at first they did take pain away I still get the pain but the aggitation I get from these patches is horrendous, I get very achie legs they ache constantly and feel restless, I yawn all the time have water eyes can't sleep and generally feel crap I exercise 3days a wk but that doesn't help I quit smoking thinking that might cause aggitation but no it's still there I want to come off patches but I'm so scared can any one plz give me any advice as I'm frightened thank you in advance xx

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi.. First off... Don't panic, or be frightened, you CAN get off these patches, however it is very important that you DO NOT just stop applying them. You will just need the right help, and by that I mean probably a change of prescription to help you wean off them.

Could it be that you're getting withdrawl symptoms from the patches as they wear off every 2nd day? I know they are supposed to last 72 hours but for a lot of folk they don't. If so you'll need to see your doc to perhaps get the patch frequency increased so that you can have the same dosage but slightly more regularly e.g every 50 - 60 hours instead of every 72. For me the patches only lasted 50 hours or so, then after that I'd start getting the same withdrawl symptoms as you describe, then about an hour after putting on a new patch the withdrawl symptoms would start to subside again until it was change over time again.

Hang in there... You'll be fine.

• Posted

Michelle You can get off Fentanyl but you need to be prepared for a rough ride. It all comes down to how committed you are. The route is by finding a medical institution who will prescribe you Lofexodine which is an opiate receptor agonist and will take the edge of the withdrawal. The first 3 days are brutal and the next month fatigue. You will notice after stopping how dysfunctional you are now but dont know it. Your moods are dictated by dosages and not by the events around you. I know I am in day 40 after kicking fentanyl nasal sprays after 3 years post cancer. I will say it was hard but do not want to put you off or discourage you... its a matter of dealing with one day at a time and they all get easier. Tapering down will help but you are going to have to bite the bullet anyway so sooner you do the sooner you get to day 40, I still am down to 80 energy but life is so much better.

best

Harvey

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I just went cold turkey off of 75 MCG fentanyl. The side effects are similar to what you are already describing that you are feeling. The only other things I have felt, besides what you have already mentioned are irritability, agitation, sneezing, runny nose, and having the chills. It feels like a really bad flu but without the fever and add in a few other symptoms. The emergency doctor told me the withdrawal is similar to alcohol withdrawal symptoms.  I strongly suggest you go to your prescribing doctor and ask him/her to assist you by lowering your dose and putting you on an anti-anxiety medication such as Ativan, clonazepam  or as in my case-Valium.  The Valium/diazepam has allowed me to get three hours of sleep last night! Yay! Don't try and do it alone. It is dangerous and more than uncomfortable.  It is a nasty drug as are most opioids and withdrawal can be brutal but it sounds like you are already experiencing some withdrawal symptoms at the dose you are on at the moment.

it's great that you can exercise three days a week! Exercise is supposed to be beneficial, especially with withdrawal symptoms. I am in a wheelchair and cannot exercise which just makes the withdrawal a bit worse as it makes my muscles and joints hurt so very much, especially the muscles that have atrophied over the past 7 1/2 years since my accident.

if I can help you or answer any specific questions, please send me a message.

good luck from Janet in Canada💞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.