Durolane injections

Posted , 11 users are following.

After failed cortisone (knees and hip) and Synvisc injections in both knees, my consultant has offered me Durolane in my right hip ( which is also showing a lot of wear and tear and is very painful) and in both knees. He will give me the injections in theatre under a general anaesthetic before, as he says, as a final resort, he begins replacing parts of me! He has never used Duralane in the knees before even though it's use is licensed. Does anyone else have experience of this injection and how does it fare against Synvisc? 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jackie,

I never had cortisone but I did have Synvisc injections in both knees four different times and in retrospect, they never really did much in the way of giving me relief. I waited so long because I was afraid and trying everything possible before, when I actually should have had the knees replaced. I waited and then they started wearing on my hips. THAT is what actually finally drove me to seek the advise of a surgeon. 

You might just think about having the repair and actually stop postponing the inevitable. It is your decision but I understand the pain you're going through and it affects your life and the life of those around you. Wishing you the best of luck in your decision and recovery.

• Posted

Have the replacements.  After a short period of pain (a "healing" pain), you will be a whole different person and kick yourself for waiting for so long.
  • Posted

I agree, go for the surgery. I did Cortisone first and Euflexa second.  It is similar to Synvisc injections.  They bought me 3 extra years before replacement but in hindsight I wish I woud have just had the surgery.  I am now 8 weeks post op. Different pain now but a healing pain.  No more bone on bone. 
  • Posted

Hi. I had TKR in May but before that had arthroscopic surgery twice, cortisone and Duralane injections.  The cortisone worked at first and then gradually stooped working. The Duralane did exactly the same thing - the first injection I had in my knee didn't take the pain away but it gave me more movement until it wore off (can't remember how long exactly it lasted but possibly 3 months. Had another one a few months later and it did absolutely nothing.  

That at was my last resort before TKR but looking back, after about 8 years of pain, I wish they had done it years ago! But at 49 they didn't want to do it so kept putting it off.

They are just putting off the inevitable with you - it's your choice, but after experience of the injections, I'd go for the replacement.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for replying. I am giving the Durolane a go but will opt for the inevitable if the injections bring no relief. My hip and knees have been dreadful over the past week in this colder weather, and painkillers don't seem to be Any help at all. Really struggling with movement. The consultant felt it was worth one last try, as the Durolane may suit my physiology better than the cortisone and Synvisc. Will let you know how I get on. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long before they send for me 🙄
    • Posted

Hi Jackie just wondering how the Durolane went with your hip?
  • Posted

Wishing you all the best. Living with constant pain is such a drain. Best wishes and positive outcomes.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie,

I've had 3 very successful Durolane knee injections that lasted about 5 to 6 monaths each, no side effects, no local injection site problems, and I had a very good orthopedic surgeon.  The 4th did not last at all.  Knee replacement next. Good luck to all who try it!

• Posted

2 years ago I was in Europe. My right knee was killing me. The pain due to thorn cattlige was bad. The Dean nof the Medical University in Sofia ised Durolane injection in my knee. The dosage was 60 mg/ml. I have not have pain since. Go for it! The shot is available from Canada. The cost is about $260.00 I well worth it.

S.  Hale

Prof. Emeritus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.