Dust mite allergy ? any advice

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi;

Joined the wonderful world of allergies in my early twenties with allergy to sunbathing; I'd had prickly heat before, but this skin rash was much worse, the only relief was lying in a bath of cold water.

This was followed by an allergy to skin products which turned me into the incredible hulk but red instead of green...including, ironically, sun allergy specific suntan lotions.

Later came a mild hayfever and the incredible hulk came back when I slept at my sister's house in my niece's and her (very furry) cat's bed!

I'm now getting all the classic allergy signs( itchy skin ,swollen eyelids,pink eyes, sore throat, cough and snivels) from sleeping in my own bed.It came on after three weeks holiday abroad.

I use feather/down pillows and duvets, and first noticed swollen eyelids after buying new pillows but buying new pillow protectors seemed to solve this problem and I take this pillow on holiday with me!

Can anyone advise me on what worked for them in reducing this problem?

I always thought that getting rid of feather products was required, but I read on this site that they might be better than synthetic pillows, so now I'm confused!

Thanks.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes!!! After 15 years of dust mite war I found a remedy for myself, hope it will help you as well.  I’m a male, 34yo, live in UK (wet climate) in flat with carpets. I know carpets are key point in my allergy, but unfortunately I can’t get rid of them as it’s a rental property. When I stay in properties with hard floors, I normally have no symptoms or much fewer allergy symptoms. Never used any steroid inhalers as I don’t trust them. However used Salbutamol, in worst periods up to 5-10 times a day which for sure isn’t good practice. 

Things I tried with no or little success: various natural herbal remedies (tried about 10-15 different herbs in total), minerals and vitamins, powerful dust extractor with HEPA filter, expensive air purifiers with HEPA and charcoal filters, wet carpet cleaner with special anti-dustmite additives, special anti-dustmite spray for carpers and other upholstery, anti-dustmite laundry detergent, mattress and pillow covers, steam pressure cleaner for carpets mattresses and upholstery.

What helped me? Dehumidifier! I bought a powerful compressor dehumidifier for our 2 bedroom flat. I bought the one that is designed for 5 bedroom house, which you might think is an overkill. But it works! After 2 days of use I could fill results. Almost all symptoms disappeared! I was so happy with results that I bought another one and now keep 1 in each bedroom.

I read that dust mites can’t survive in low humidity conditions during prolonged periods of time (which is less than 40%). Now I’m trying to keep humidity level around 35% at all the times and since dehumidifier purchase I had no dust mite allergy symptoms. Dehumidifiers are extracting now about 1 litr of water a day each. Hope this helps you!

• Posted

I’d suggest rather than making your home allergy proof, you should work on your body to make it allergy proof. My story was no different from yours 6 months ago. I had severe dust-mite and cat hair allergies. Almost instantaneously my body would start reacting. I was on the allergy pill for the longest time and this was infact causing me other complications. My misery didn’t seem to end until I chanced upon a website dealing with natural allergic remedies. I consulted a doctor and he maintained that allergies result because of a derangement in the Ptta humour of the body. Pitta is loosely translated as digestive fire. This imbalance leads to increase in histamine production and the manifestation of an allergy. he menttioned the best ways to calm our pitta in aurveda is by taking herbs that work to harmonize the imbalances such as Yavani, Katikarohini, Tejapatra, Sthulaila, Sukshamela, Kustha, Swarnapatri, Hareetaki. I had no knowledge about these herbs , and he also recommended a kit that had ayurvedic , homeopathic and nutritional ingredients. I consumed the kit for 6 weeks and my symptoms never returned.

• Posted

Hello Joseph

A friend of mine is Ayuverdic practitioner and has given me useful ideas on dietary changes that really helped. I'm pleased you have benefited from the guidance you have been given.

• Posted

Hi Su2,

Would you please share the details how to change the diet please.

thanks

• Posted

Hi joseph_10

i have been suffering like you had been through and so glad to find your comment here. would you share the contact of the dr. that helped you please. Thanks

• Posted

Hello, liauq. I could recommend you getting rid of all your feather pillows, old carpets, blankets and matressess and get a new ones. You know, you may have allergy for feathers as well, so getting a synthetic bed linen would be a decent choice here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.