Dutasteride after TURP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone out there decided to continue with Dutasteride of Finasteride after a TURP to slow re-growth and reduce the chances of needing a further operation? It seems like a good idea to me. My urology consultant said I could do that if I wanted to, but on balance he thought he wouldn't advise it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had the very same question after a Green Light 3 years ago.

Surgeon said he doubted that I'd ever need the surgery again.

So far so good. I was fine with it, because I'm generally reluctant to take medication.

• Posted

I also don't like to take drugs if I don't have to. In this case it is a balance because I never noticed any side effects when I was taking Dutasteride and I would certainly like to avoid if possible a re-run of the operation with all the risks and shear inconvenience of recovery. I am surprised this doesn't come up more often. I actually wondered if it would be a good compromise to take a lower dose, say, every other day or every three days just to slow things down a bit.

• Posted

A couple years ago when I was taking an alpha blocker but still hesitant about surgery, my uro mentioned dutasteride but said he didn't recommend it due to possible side effects. I eventually opted for a TURP and am happy with the results.

• Posted

This should go without saying, but anyone taking a 5-ARI should very carefully monitor their PSA and have routine DREs, and remember to look at their "true" PSA as at least double their reading. Finasteride and Dutasteride can lower PSA by 50% - 80%, so a new baseline PSA needs to be established by the doctor monitoring men on these meds.

They're effective at reducing prostate volume and dropping PSA, but aside from the myriad of potential side effects, they can mask the presence of cancer, even aggressive cancer. So, use with caution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.