DVLA 8 weeks To Drive Even Automatics...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I was just at my six week checkup yesterday and got the OK to return to work, but then was told I could not drive decause of the DVLA and their eight week rule,  cry  it is a little annoying for me working nights, as Trams dont run untill 6am... and I usually finish at 4 or 5am,  frown

anyone else heard this??

I bought a weeks ticket and am looking forward to the earlymorning walk and fresh air, will take a camera to work for these coming days.   idea  cool

Totsiens to all  Ian ++

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Always something to put a spike in your postive attitude, and good progress Ian. Looking foward to your photos.
  • Posted

Hello Ian

Well...first I've heard of this. In Exeter my physio said drive at 6 weeks...so I did at 6 weeks and 1 hour.

Someone said here that the insurance company needed a letter from hospital...I phoned mine up and they said go with physio advice.

So...dunno.suppose you could phone dvla but you'd think insurance Co or physio would know if true.

Good luck!

Mic

• Posted

I just google DVLA and there is a category "Medical conditions, disabilities, and driving"  These categories are listed in green and it is the ninth one down.  I clicked on it and could not find anywhere that mentioned Hip replacement, THR, or  any arthritis surgery..,  I did find arthritis and the website stated "You only need to tell DVLA if you have arthritis and you use special controls for driving."  Check it out for yourself but if still in doubt I guess a call to them wouldn't hurt. 

Hope this helps.  

• Posted

hi I was given all clear by surgeon to drive at 5 weeks and never heard of this dvla ruling.
  • Posted

Hi Ian,

I've not heard of this either. I rang my insurance company after my last hip op and was just told I didn't need to inform them, I just had to go with what my consultant said.

I've just been on the dvla website and could find nothing under the medical conditions you have to inform them about involving hip replacement. I think you've been given some duff information there mate.

Let us know if you hear any different please but I think it's wrong personally. 

Ali x

• Posted

I rang the insurance before my op to tell them and they didn't seem to be bothered not needing any documentation and just to start driving when I could. I was told by my surgeon I could drive at my 6 week check up providing I could do an emergency stop. I didn't try an emergency stop as some have done I just sat in the car in the drive and tried to push the brake hard  and quick (I have an auto). I could do that so drove.

I have never heard of an 8 week rule.

• Posted

nerver heard of this before, i was driving after 6 weeks and as long as i could do a emergancy stop all ok
  • Posted

I think I will call the DVLA in the morning and the insurance company as it is such an inconvienience right now not to drive...  neutral

I work Nights...But will see just what they say..

Thanks all for your advice I would not  be calling without your input.....idea Ian.

• Posted

Hi all I called the DVLA they said that there was no such restriction, cheesygrin I called the insurance firm, they said they would just put a note on my file, and said that I am covered so today I will be driving,  cheesygrin and going to work in the car too, it just annoys me that I bought a Blackpool travel Ticket for a week for the Trams, hope I can sell it on at work for half price...thanks all for commenting and making me chase it up.  cool

Ian.

• Posted

so relieved Ian as I have my second operation due October and was hoping I could drive again like last time after 5 weeks, so glad you are independent and how annoying for bad information hope you sell your pass on.

maggie

• Posted

I'm so pleased! Waiting 6 weeks to gain your independence is bad enough! I would have gone stark raving bonkers if I'd had to wait another 2 weeks.

Thanks for clearing that up for us all and I hope you can get some money back for that tram ticket.

Cheers.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ian...glad a sorted as it didn't seem at all correct. Glad insurance company are fine with you. Mine was, but someone on here had to have physio report in writing before re commencing the insurance cover.

Take are

Mic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.