DVT and Exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago.  I'm on Xarelto.  Question is this: If I exercise I am afraid clots will detach and cause PE.  Any ideas?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's always a good idea to read the inserts from the box in your medicine and consult your doctor from there.

• Posted

Walk, swim and use the treadmill if your Dr. permits.  Only do what you feel comfortable with.  I walked every day for the first month ( started with 10 minutes and built up to 30), then progressed to treadmill and waited for 3 months before seeing consultant for clearance to use the gym.  Unfortunately I had DVT in leg groin to ankle and both lungs. But 4 months into it are getting back to normal. Good luck and you will get there
  • Posted

Hi Laura,

My experience was that exercise helped and I walked every day after diagnosis. I am sure this helped with blood flow and collaterals. I think resting the leg too much can be counter-productive and impair the formation of new pathways for blood flow. You should be getting a new ultrasound soon which will give you a better idea of how you are doing. As others have said if in doubt check with Doctor. All the best. John

• Posted

Hi John  Do you mind me asking at what stage did you get another ultrasound done? 
    • Posted

Hi Grace well I had my second one at six weeks. Whether this was a mistake or because I had initially an occluded vein from popliteal to half way or more up my thigh I am not sure. Either way the ultrasound at six weeks showed a big improvement with substantial recanalisation. I took this as a sign to keep up the daily walking etc. Eventually my rather large DVT did clear. Eighteen months on and about a year off blood thinners I get aches in my thigh and get some moderate swelling in my foot and lower calf (post thrombotic syndrome) which by comparison with some others is mild I think. In my case it equates to a feeling of fullness in my foot and you know when your socks leave a big imprint on your ankle. My calves are pretty much the same size however which is a result I think. By the way I was on rivaroxaban for some months but due to hair loss transferred to Clexane which I injected into the stomach. I read somewhere that Clexane is better at preventing further clots and facilitating the breakdown of thrombus.. I would ask for another ulrasound if they do not suggest one soon. John
    • Posted

I was just interested. I had my 3 month appointment with haematologist recently following unprovoked clot in leg from groin to ankle which also went to  both lungs.  At check up was told on Eliquis for life and no further tests or any kind would ever be done. Had my first clot in same leg (the groin) 46 years earlier following car accident and surgery. I have excercised daily (very slowly at first) walking and treadmill and have just gone back to gym classess and Zumba.  Only thing I cannot do is scuba diving due to the medication.  Wear my compression stocking daily which keeps swelling down but still get pain just below knee and sometimes in lungs. A great believer that early exercise is the key to improving - just listen to my body. I started on Clexane for 10 days before being switched to Eliquis which I have now got used to. Hope you continue to improve and enjoy Good Health.
    • Posted

Thanks Grace. I wish you also the best of possible outcomes. This DVT thing is a horrible experience but can be got used to and life can become worth living again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.