DVT and light smoking

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a DVT yesterday. I was taking the birth control pill and I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day. I was prescribed Xarelto twice a day. I stopped the pill promptly. Is it still ok to smoke lightly or will this make my chances of DVT or PE stay high? I have a bad history of varicose veins for hereditary reasons and from having two kids. Thanks for any insights!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Smoking is one of the major causes of a DVT, I was continually asked if I smoked, they told me the nicotine makes the blood sells sticky so they are much more likely to stick together and form a clot.  Do you think its worth those cigarettes to risk another, maybe be permanently crippled as if you get PTS that is what happens.  
    • Posted

Just curious about what PTS is? The doctor hasn’t mentioned that. I just like to have one or two cigarettes with a glass of wine at night after the kids go to bed. My only adult time 😊 I didn’t think such a small amount of smoking would contribute to the risk? 

• Posted

Post thrombotic syndrome, you can google it but its not nice.  Its common after a DVT, particularly if you have more than one. I think you do know that such a small amount of smoking could contribute to the risk, otherwise you would not be asking.  
  • Posted

There is never an occasion when it is “OK to smoke”, lightly or not. 

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Even passive smoking will lead to some lung damage including loss of elastin in the lower airways/bronchioles. This is the beginning of emphysema. The lung elastin is never replaced and each exposure to smoke causes a tiny bit more of loss of respiratory surface; it is accumulative.  If youve got DVT and maybe a risk of PE as well, the last thing you’d want to do is to make blood plasma more “sticky”. Also I guess it seems rather difficult to justify some adult time smoking while compromising lung function at the same time. Emphysema never goes away, believe me! 

Cheers

Big D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.