DVT and PE diagnosed march/ looking for advice re exercise and anything else.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i was diagnosed with DVT and pulminory Embolism in march this year. Not had much advice from anyone re what i should be doing exercise wise. well to be honest not had much advice regarding anything to do with these conditions at all i was punted out hospital at start of covid 19 lock down consultant said that i should be back in for respiratory clinic in 3 months but he wouldnt have been surprised if i wasnt seen before december due to covid 19. I asked about exercise and was told to build it up gradually and listen to my body yesterday after a month of building up distance i did 19 miles cycling, question is am i doing damage to my leg as it is still extremeley swollen am i overdoing it. As for support stockings they have never been mentioned to me so should i be looking to approach gp in regards to this. thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what a nightmare for you to be discharged like that and to have no information. I was told the same, exercise as much as my body felt comfortable with. I am and always have been a walker and that was fine, i just did a bit more every day until I got up to my customary 10 miles. If you feel comfortable with the cycling you should do it, its good because if forces the blood to open up minor arteries to take over from the damaged ones. You should absolutely be wearing a stocking, you should be properly fitted for it and get a prescription. You could contact your gp for this. The nurse at my clinic measured my leg and gave me the prescription. Normally people are put on blood thinner medication for a while, usually warfarin to start off with and should be attending the warfarin clinic as it has to be controlled until they get the right dosage for you, the clinic can also arrange for the stocking.If none of this is happening I think you should contact your surgery, particularly as you suffered a PE. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.