Dvt obsession

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 23 yr old anemic female, on the last week of December I noticed a stabbing pain on my chest near my heart so I went to the er thinking that I might have hurt a rib or something once they drew blood the nurse told me my ddimer test was elevated I am not sure how much more elevated so they did xray of my chest, and ct scan everything was clear and they sent me home since that I have been obsessing and been fearful that I will one day collapse! The next day I expierenced tightness on my leg and there I go back to er thinking I had a dvt they did a doppler scan and it was negative the next week my leg tightness went away just for it to come back so I went back 2 more times the last time I went they did a ddimer but it was negative in total I have had 2 ddimers the first elevated the second negative & all 3 doppler scans negative. A month and a half later and I still have leg tightness and my right upper back tends to have a burning sensation. Could this be a hidden blood clot or is could it be simply anxiety?? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like anxiety to be honest with you. I had a pe in November 2016 and every pain I get I freak out. I've had like 8 ct scans 4 or 5 Doppler. I've learned to just relax. I check my heart rate and o2 with my app because I tested it to the hospital monitor and it is straight on. I breath in deeply to see if I feel pain and if I don't I know I'm ok. I see my doctor Monday for another issue I'm paranoid about so I'm requesting a MRI of my complete torso to rule out everything and I know my insurance will pay for it. But it will give me piece of mind but it may be just my anxiety.

• Posted

Hi,

?Did they do the contrast CT Scan ?  that is the gold standard testing  method ( non invasive ) of detecting pulmonary embolisms. That's how they found my multiple blood clots in both lungs along with an extremely high D- dimer test, although the D- dimer is not always accurate at the low end of positive.

?You have stated that you are anaemic , have you mentioned that to emergency doctors ? there are several other things that anaemia can cause, I'm sure you know all about anaemia , in the way that your blood is carrying less oxygen and your body relies on this lack of oxygen, your heart could be working harder because of this lack of oxygen in your blood, it could be as simple as indigestion, or even as you say anxiety. Are your legs puffed up ? as in fluid retention ? 

?I would highly suggest you make an appointment with your GP and discuss your concerns, if he/she are aware of you being anaemic they will know where to go from there.

• Posted

Hi there... I know this post is old... But Im having the same issues and need to talk to someone!! I feel like I have PE... Already went to the er twice. They did a ultrasound and ddimer... Came back normal so they refuse to do a ct scan. How did everything turn out?
    • Posted

Hi christine,

I know you have replied to karen but, we all seem to have the same anxiety regarding clots. When did you have yours?

I was diagnosed at the begining of june and was given apixaban, the apixaban gave me mild headaches, sickness and dizziness which I could have coped with for the 3 months I was prescribed them, after a month I got so ill I had to stop taking them.

I spoke to my GP and now take natural anitcoagulants, bromeline, ginger, flaxseed, garlic, cod liver oil, magnesium and plenty of water. I panic with every slight feeling around my chest, then get anxious and feel like I cannot breath and today I have a cough so that is making me panic. It is never ending is it, after having clots in the lungs.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

No... I have no diagnosis. I have calf pain and chest pain. Went to the er and did a ultrasound and ddimer test and since they were negative, didn't want to do a ct scan. Im worried something was missed. I know the anxiety is making the pain worse and its hard to trust the doctors.

• Posted

Jen, how did they find yours? Really?? All natural with no blood thinner? Is that risky?
    • Posted

Hi christina,

I had a hip replacement and it seems a piece of debris came away from the hip/pelvis area and went to the stomach as I had a very strange pain in the stomach (twice). After that pain, when out walking I was getting out of breath and a few days later I had the most incredible pain just to the side under the breast, luckily my GP suspected a clot because of the surgery.

When I felt really bad I went to the doctors the next day and said I am stopping the apixaban he offered warfarin which I refused, he said it is a risk which I acknowlegded. I am scared of the clot returning but, the tablets are so dangerous they scare me.

I explained I was going to take bromelain as it is a known anticoagulant, he told me to have root ginger as well as fenugreek. I have added loads of other things. I am now looking at nattokinase which is a more powerful anticoagulant.

The doctors at the hospital were confused at first because I did not have the normal clot symptoms which are in the leg and mine swopped sides from right to left!!!! Strange but true.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.