DVT / PE worry - please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I’ve been having chest pains alongside other symptoms for 3 days. 

I’ve visted A&E twice for chest pains - the first time I had a panic attack alongside, they did an ECG and sent me home. 

I returned the next evening with chest pains still, they again did another ecg and blood tests and send me home and said to see my gp.

I saw my GP this morning and he said he could hear a rub on my chest and so he’s requested for my to have blood tests and X-ray tomorrow to check for blood clott. 

I just can’t relax or sleep this evening I’m so worried that I do have a clott and I’ll just have a major heart attack or I’ll stop breathing tonight! 

I’ve listed some of my symptoms and some may just  be anxiety:

Hands and feet tingle 

Lump in throat 

Chest pains

Head ache

Dizziness and nausea

Muscles ache

Tiredness 

Will I be okay tonight? Would the dr have booked an appointment tomorrow if he thought it was an emergency! I just can’t sleep and I’m worried the blood clot I might have is going to kill me in my sleep! 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Firstly do you know what they checked for in A&E blood wise? I would think that if your GP was that worried they would have referred you to A&E straight away. The symptoms you are having are related to anxiety but with the rub described on the chest I’d never brush off symptoms as just being such. When I had my PEs a few months ago I couldn’t even walk and I was constantly breathless - it felt like a huge weight on my chest. Low BP is also a sign. Did you ask your GP why they were making you wait until tomorrow? Just wondering if they said why. If you want to get it over with go over to A&E now and say your GP suspects a blood clot - they can test your blood straight away and you get your results much quicker. Anxiety is a horrible thing and I’m just thinking of saving you from the stress of not sleeping. Xx 

• Posted

P.S x rays don’t normally pick up embolisms. Mine never did, I had to have an emergency CT scan. Let me know how you get on x 
    • Posted

Thank u so much for you’re reply! 

Anxiety is such a horrible thing! The initial blood test in a&e I’m pretty sure the did test for d dimmer but I wasn’t actually given the results! The GP this morning didn’t seemed overly concerned he seemed more as though he wanted to rule everything out, it’s just always in the back of my mind! 

I didn’t ask why he did make the app today didn’t think too much of it! But now thanks to google I’m more worried! My breathing isn’t too breathless but I feel something is off with my breathing like someone is sat on my chest. 

My pain doesn’t get over a 5/10 but it’s just the thought of it if you know what I mean?

• Posted

Gp also took my BP and pulse etc and didn’t say anything about them being abnormal. He’s quite an old school gp but he does care a lot. As I say he didn’t seem like he was too concerned. I’m also on the pill which increases changes so adds to the worry 
  • Posted

Hi Katie,

The team in A&E acted swiftly and took me into hospital straight away when my bloods came back and if yours showed such readings then they certainly would have done the same before letting you leave. Do you have anything like diazepam to keep you calm? Try putting on your funniest tv show or film, focus on your breathing and try a herbal tea if you have any. I’m a huge anxiety sufferer and I know it’s so hard to tell the difference at times. Never disregard it but you have done all you can in getting yourself checked out and now must trust your GP - it does sound like they just want to rule everything out like you say. I had my clots for quite a few weeks before getting them checked out because I thought it was anxiety and asthma issues so I’m really pleased you’ve acted so fast. Please don’t worry, it sounds like things are in hand, please let me know how you get on tomorrow. It would be good to know. Try to relax and get a little sleep x 

• Posted

Thank you! It’s so hard to believe how much anxiety can take over. I’ve only recently been suffering from it so haven’t sought medical help yet. I’m hoping to try and see someone about it as I know I’ve suffered from health anxiety for many years. It’s amazing how many people are out there too. And it’s actually calming to hear things even if it is from a stranger!! So I really appreciate your time. 

I’ve had a herbal tea already haha! I’m just trying my best to relax and calm really, as you say I must trust my gp. 

I’ve only really had symptoms about 3 days so it re assuming to know even if it is a clot that they can be there for a few days/ weeks. I’ll make sure I get the X-ray done and ask further about a CT scan! 

I really appreciate you helping to keep me calm! It’s almost a battle with your own brain!

• Posted

Katie, it looks like a lot of these symptoms are caused by panic which I fully understand. I had an x-ray but apparently clots do not show up, mine did not, you need a CT scan. I know telling you to be calm is pointless as it is hard when you are fearful. I hope you do not have clots, good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for this! Panic is hard to overcome, I’m just reassuring myself that if they were life threatening then my pain would be much higher and I would be feeling much worse. I will definitely get it seen to tomorrow.  Thank you 
  • Posted

Has your doctor diagnosed you with a clot at any time?  Have you had a CT Scan?   If you have and it is clear then I am thinking you are suffering from anxiety.  I had 2 PEs and a DVT almost 2 years ago.  I thought I had bronchitis and was put on an antibiotic.  I went through several different antibiotic for about 8 days.  I was so tired I could not hold my hairdryer up to dry my hair. Anyway, to make a long story short my doctor heard something in my chest and KNEW it was not bronchitis and called the hospital and sent me over to have a CT scan. I did not leave for 9 days.  But several weeks later I began some of what you have and it was nothing but anxiety. My doctor put me on an antidepressant, one that worked quickly, and my symptoms went away. I was terrified that my clots had moved and was dying. Actually, when I was in the hospital I was on the same anti anxiety drug but they did not send any home with me. You MUST get your anxiety under control but FIRST see if you can have a CT Scan.  Let us know as we care.  I will tell you that I went back to the ER a couple of months later because of chest pains and they did another scan and an ultra sound on my legs, where the DVT was, and it was ALL clear. And my CT scan was clear so that relieved me so that I have had nothing since and have gotten back to my life. If your doctor was that concerned he would not have sent you home just to come back tomorrow.  OR, head to the ER yourself and tell them that you are worried that you are having a clot AND are having chest pains. They will get to you right away. Do it!!!

• Posted

Thank u all - I definitely think anxiety had a lot to play. I’ve had the results from D dimmer test and they where all clear so think that’s ruled out any clots. 

Just awaiting chest X-ray results.

• Posted

That’s great Katie thanks so much for letting me know, I was thinking of you today. I hope it’s just something you can put down to anxiety and you will get help for. All the best xx
    • Posted

Thank you! Yeah I think it may just be a lot of anxiety. Thanks for your support
    • Posted

Katie, anyone who has ever had clots will be so understanding of you because most of us have also had anxiety that has scared us to death. I wish I had kept up with a number of times that I thought about my health doing these past 23 months but I did not but I remember it was every single day probably every hour. But now I seldom do and I am not on anything for anxiety , and on October 22nd the day back in 2016 that I started feeling so bad, I am pleased to announce that I will be flying to Israel and that is something I thought I would never get to do because of these clots but I am. And I'm staying until the 31st which is anniversary of the day I went into the hospital and began the treatment that saved my life. I'm telling you this because there is life after a blood clot and you sound like you are on top of yours and I'm sure your doctor did blood work to start with and that would have shown you were having a clot or were about to have one. But just listen to your own body and if he puts you on an anticoagulant be faithful about taking it. I am on warfarin and will probably be on it the rest of my life. But that is okay as it saved my life. Be sure and keep on keeping on!!!

• Posted

The lump in throat, chest pain and nausea could be a bit of acid reflux which is tied in with anxiety. Try taking some antacids and ranitidine see if it helps some of your symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.