DVT - swollen leg and tummy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got diagnosed with DVT on February 2nd.  DVT in my left leg and tummy.  I spent one month in bed.  Now I'm back to work.  My leg and tummy are still swollen.  I was on Xarelto 30mg for 25 days.  Now I'm on 20mg a day.

When will my leg and tummy get back to normal? I'm now scared I'm going to stay swollen forever.  I don't fit into my clothes.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You need to be patient, it takes a long time.  Its good you are now active, that will help.   My swelling took around 6 months to go down.  Are you wearing a compression stocking on your leg? That is the best thing to reduce swelling.
    • Posted

Thank you.  Yes I am wearing them.  Should I walk a lot? or not? doctors are not very responsive.  They said "you can walk." how much is good? 

• Posted

Walk as much as you are confortable with I was told.  I used to walk 3 miles a day before I had my DVT and do so again now but its getting on for two years since I had mine.   Just do what you can.  Walking is good but standing is not, do not stand for long periods and when you sit, always have your leg up. 
    • Posted

My leg is pretty much back to normal but I had my clot washed out, it was very big from the back of my knee, up through my groin and across my abdomen.  They washed it out and put in a stent as I had a slight case of May-Thurner Syndrome (vein compression caused by another vein laying across it).   My knee is very slightly swollen but otherwise the swelling has gone.  It will be two years in July and I have just stopped wearing the compression stocking.  When I walk fast I have slight pain in the top of my foot and if I am on my feet all day my leg feels a bit heavy but that is all I have now.  I have been very lucky I know. 
    • Posted

How did they wash it out? I am big on my leg and my abdomen too sad I feel like a balloon. Where did they insert the stent?

• Posted

they washed it out with an AnjioJet, its not a regularly given procedure and not many hospitals have them.  The stent is at the top of my leg somewhere, I dont know exactly,  it was put in to keep the vein open as it was being compressed by another vein that was laying across it.  They do not think that is why I had the clot but they noticed it on a scan and as they were doing the jet it was easy for them to put a stent in. 

• Posted

That's good smile are you still on blood thinners? did you gain weight from them? I feel like a balloon... I don't know if it is b/c of the veins or just me getting fat.  It is so depressing.  

I should not worry about it, but I don't fit into my clothes.  At least we are alive smile the doctor in the hospital asked me if I had a will lol

• Posted

Also, I'm extremely tired. I spent this whole weekend sleeping.  I would sleep 15 hours if I could.  

Would you recommend swimming 1 month after diagnosis? For me it's been 5 weeks.  Am I being too ambitious? 

• Posted

I am on blood thinners for life as there was nothing they could definately pin point as causing the clot so nothing they could treat to ensure I do not have another (I am early sixties).   I put on a lot of weight, I lost a lot when the swelling went down (about 1/2 stone of fluid I had in there) but most I think I put on through being inactive.  I have lost most of it now I can exercise properly.    Yes, that is how I look at it, I am alive, no PE and I still have two legs, it was thought I may lose my leg. 
    • Posted

I was tired too, very tired.  Swimming would be great, if you feel able then go for it, one of the best excercises. 
    • Posted

My gosh! I felt the same way sad Mine was due to a fracture of the ankle.  I flew with a cast on.  Apparently it did it to me.

So, I am going to have a fat belly for the next 6 months or so sad 

my leg has not gotten any better in the last 2 weeks or so.  The color is still off.  I live in the Middle East, and summer is near. I'm going to die with those sexy stockings they gave me. SIGH.  And I can't walk properly. I can't have physio on my ankle... 

• Posted

I think every person is different Laura, the fluid in my leg went quickly.    I wish you all the best. Keep in touch with the forum as its helpful having others in the same boat. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.