DVT - Timeline and lack of progress.

Posted , 3 users are following.

May 2016 - Diagnosed with DVT - A blood clot behind my knee has caused my calf muscle to swell up enormously. 

Nov 2016 - Scan shows that my DVT has now got worse and developed into a case of chronic DVT. Calf muscle has got slightly smaller, at the same time my thigh muscle has got slightly bigger.

March 2017 - Will have a scan in May, but things are uncomfortable. My calf is slightly smaller (I mean less than 5%) but my thigh and especially groin have got bigger.

Is the latter developements a sign of my body trying to shift the residual water? - I have no pain whatsoever, just increased calf and thighs when I try and do anything more than walking at a gentle pace.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately I think you have developed Post-Thrombotic Syndrome or chronic symptoms after DVT.  This is quite common and affects 20-40% of people.  I assume you are wearing compression stockings?  You also need to keep your leg elevated as much as possible (always when sitting). 
  • Posted

Hi, As said on here, you are showing signs of Post thrombotic syndrome. Where have you been scanned, ie which hosp. You also may have May Thurner syndrome which is an anatomical complication. Have you been told to wear compression stockings and told to exercise to encourage the formation of collateral veins to help blood flow? You can check these out online. I would recommend Guy's and St Thomas' Hosp London for proper diagnosis. Sheila. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.